PDA

View Full Version : Will Chrome Apps kill QT on the long run ?

nuliknol
28th March 2016, 00:15
I have been using QT to build small applications for desktop platform. The cross platform support of QT and its nice look and feel made me to decide to use it for my apps. But recently I had to write a Chrome extension, and casually I found that Google now supports standalone Apps, that can run outside of the browser. I know C/C++ is not anything close to Javascript and I love C deep down in my heart. But I see Chrome Apps and its native client API as a big competition to QT framework. If your solution can make it without the speed of C, Chrome Apps may be a very good platform to write code for desktops and mobile devices. Development times would be cut in half when wrote in Javascript and cross platform support would be included by definition.

What do you think about it? Does anyone tried Chrome Apps and can make comments on how then could impact QT market share on the long run?

d_stranz
28th March 2016, 17:32
You already have java, tcl/tk, wxwidgets, and any number of other cross-platform ui development tools and languages out there. Chrome Apps is just one more in the long line. It will attain whatever market share it attains, it will have its religious zealots who will defend it to the death as the "one true path", and all of the others will continue to exist right along side it.

From a user's point of view, it is generally irrelevant what tool the developer used to implement an app. What is more important is that the feature set does what the user wants and doesn't break while it is doing it.