PDA

View Full Version : I lost my QHtmlBrowser Widget, anyone seen it?

katrina
7th January 2006, 04:11
I SSSSSSOOOOOO wish there was an HTML browser widget that wasn't OS specific. I know I _could_ use a text browser, but it seems that it's HTML support is pretty limited. I would love to have something like that which can run javascript... that would ROCK! Anyone ever seen something like that for Qt?

Katrina

wysota
7th January 2006, 07:15
Try embedding gecko (mozilla engine).

yop
7th January 2006, 10:02
Try embedding gecko (mozilla engine).Have you succeeded doing something like that? I'm more than intrested. I'm using KHtml for now but I don't really like it ;)

wysota
8th January 2006, 18:40
Have you succeeded doing something like that? I'm more than intrested. I'm using KHtml for now but I don't really like it ;)

I haven't tried, although I heard people did it. There is even some kind of receipe in the net on embedding gecko.

Brandybuck
28th September 2006, 00:25
Chiming in late here, but I had a conversation with a customer yesterday on this very topic. What is wanted by the commercial Qt user isn't an HTML widget, but Internet Explorer. You can do this in Windows, because there is a real explorer component to use. But it doesn't exist elsewhere.

The reason is simple: plugins. Nobody cares about HTML/CSS anymore, they want to use proprietary plugins, particularly Flash v8+. Even if you took KHTML, Gecko, WebKit or something else and created a 100% compliant ACID2 passing HTML/CSS/ECMA browser, it still won't be good enough. The customer I was working with was pissed at Apple WebKit, because the Flash plugin was flaky (basically it's a Carbon window embedded in Cocoa WebKit embedded in Carbon QWidget).

wysota
28th September 2006, 00:54
Gecko should be able to use Netscape plugins (including Flash). Unfortunately Flash 8 is off limits for Linux+Firefox now, but this will hopefully change.

Valheru
8th October 2006, 22:50
Chiming in late here, but I had a conversation with a customer yesterday on this very topic. What is wanted by the commercial Qt user isn't an HTML widget, but Internet Explorer. You can do this in Windows, because there is a real explorer component to use. But it doesn't exist elsewhere.

The reason is simple: plugins. Nobody cares about HTML/CSS anymore, they want to use proprietary plugins, particularly Flash v8+. Even if you took KHTML, Gecko, WebKit or something else and created a 100% compliant ACID2 passing HTML/CSS/ECMA browser, it still won't be good enough. The customer I was working with was pissed at Apple WebKit, because the Flash plugin was flaky (basically it's a Carbon window embedded in Cocoa WebKit embedded in Carbon QWidget).

Nobody cares about HTML/CSS anymore? Good luck getting a webpage to look like anything resembling a webpage without them.

kroenecker
31st January 2007, 05:43
Yeah I find it hard to believe that a customer who understands the Internet doesn't respect CSS/XHTML.

wysota
31st January 2007, 09:42
I think the point is not that he does or does not respect css/xhtml but that he requires something more than html support from a html browser (I know this sounds silly).

katrina
21st December 2007, 00:08
Gotta love it when your dreams come true ;-)
Yay for QtWebKit!

high_flyer
21st December 2007, 11:54
Hey Katrina,

I must say I am not sure what (Qt)WebKit is - all though I read through what I could find...:-\
Is it meant as a framework to write browsers and HTML/Other scripts - aware applications (that run web applications), or is it a framework for building web applications (maybe a bit like Cocoon/Tomcat)?

Can you clarify that for me please?
Thanks! :)

katrina
21st December 2007, 12:25
There seems to have been a lot of confusion about this going around.

QtWebKit is basically a web browser widget (although a bit more robust than just that) so that you can write apps that can view HTML/Javascript/etc documents.
QtWebKit does not make Qt apps into web apps.

high_flyer
21st December 2007, 12:30
Ah! Thanks!:)

Is there anything else that you know of besides Wt (http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt/) that allows coding C/C++ for web applications? (I ask since it seems you are well versed in the subject)

katrina
21st December 2007, 12:34
Yep! I sent you a private message about it because its not announced yet. :-)

wysota
21st December 2007, 13:05
QtWebKit is basically a web browser widget (although a bit more robust than just that) so that you can write apps that can view HTML/Javascript/etc documents.

QtWebKit is a port of WebKit which is an Apple project used by their Safari browser and is in turn a port of KHTML (used by Konqueror) which is based on Qt - "Ashes to ashes, Qt to Qt" :)

high_flyer
21st December 2007, 13:07
I know that, Witek, THAT was clear from the wiki site, but I didn't know what it is really for...

katrina
21st December 2007, 13:17
"Ashes to ashes, Qt to Qt"

Very nice quote! :D

BTW, there is a really great QtWebKit example in the Qt-4.4.0-tp1 download, its in demos/browser. Its actually a decent (although simple) web browser - with tabs, a page inspector, and such. Also *cough* it doesn't suffer from some of Konqueror's rendering bugs (although I did notice a couple rendering bugs of its own - but they seem to be fewer)

Brandybuck
22nd December 2007, 03:18
I'm hoping that there will be plugin support for Webkit/QtWebKit. Because as I remarked up above, many potential Qt clients will be specifying Flash v9+ support for their apps.

katrina
22nd December 2007, 10:57
Hmmm, I have not chcked yet if there is any built-in support for loading extensions, but I am sure if there isn't that someone will release something to do it pretty quickly; that seems like it would be a very in-demand feature.

wysota
22nd December 2007, 12:23
I'm hoping that there will be plugin support for Webkit/QtWebKit. Because as I remarked up above, many potential Qt clients will be specifying Flash v9+ support for their apps.

I assume Safari supports it, so sooner or later we will probably have support for plugins in WebKit as well.