PDA

View Full Version : using the lib template dll option on *nix

jamadagni
19th April 2007, 04:41
doc/html/qmake-common-projects.html#the-lib-template tells me that there is a DLL option that would build "a shared library (dll)".

Does this mean that this option is valid only on Windows?

If not, it is misleading to add the word "dll" since there are no DLLs on *nix and I presume on Mac too, and so I can file a bug asking for the wording to be changed.

Same goes for the plugin option there.

wysota
19th April 2007, 09:58
"dll" will be ignored on platforms other than windows. "plugin" is a perfectly valid option on all platforms.

Don't expect Trolltech to change option names in qmake (the only thing they can do is add an option but not remove it), becuase it would mean loosing backward compatibility with already written programms.

jamadagni
19th April 2007, 11:33
"dll" will be ignored on platforms other than windows. "plugin" is a perfectly valid option on all platforms.
If so then:

the documentation should say that
there would be no way to create a shared library using qmake

Don't expect Trolltech to change option names in qmake (the only thing they can do is add an option but not remove it), becuase it would mean loosing backward compatibility with already written programms.
This is why they have words like "deprecated" ;)

wysota
19th April 2007, 13:14
If so then:

the documentation should say that
there would be no way to create a shared library using qmake

I don't think I understand... If you use a "lib" template without the "staticlib" config option, you'll get a shared library...

And besides... "dll" means "dynamically loaded library" which is basically true on all platforms.