PDA

View Full Version : Porting QT Widgets desktop app to mobile environment

nuliknol
19th August 2016, 01:11
Hi,
I have a QT Widgets desktop app and I want to port it to mobile. It is a client server (office productivity) app with about 15 windows, and all of them open as a standalone window with many tabs and fields. When I compiled it for android and ran it looked super ugly. I have a lot of modal dialogs opening and on android they don't look like another window, but merged with the current one making it a complete mess.

What would you recommend me in my case? I have two choices:
1) Make necessary adjustments to current app so it looks not so ugly with a desktop look and feel. (I don't really need it to look android-native) Since android is a single window environment I would have to change everything to use the only front window. Not sure how difficult this task is and if possible at all , specially catching device-rotating events.
2) Rewrite everything in QT Quick with controls 2. After all , it is only the presentation, the business logic goes in their own classes.

What would you go for if the development time was not an issue?
Any tips or experiences on porting Destkop QT Widgets apps to Android/IOS ?

Personally I like QT Widgets , they look much more advanced an powerful than QT Quick Controls, but somebody was saying QT Quck is going to be the future, that ARM is going to dominate the desktop market very soon, so maybe it worth investing in QT Quick ?

TIA
Nulik

anda_skoa
19th August 2016, 11:28
I would definitely write separate UIs for these two very different device types.

For mobile probably using QtQuick as it is more aligned with that kind of behavior expectations.
But I would very likely still use QtWidgets for the desktop side.

Not sure what your reference to ARM meant, from Qt's perspective there is little difference in which architecture the CPU has as long as Qt is supported on it.

Cheers,
_

nuliknol
19th August 2016, 12:41
I would definitely write separate UIs for these two very different device types.
_

Thanks! That's actually what I was thinking too, release 2 version MyApp Desktop and MyApp Mobile. After all, there are hardware difference on both computing devices and you can't just ignore those.