PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to start learning Qt

starlays
6th September 2016, 21:36
Hello to all, nice to find this community around.

I have some experience with programing but mostly with web oriented programming languages and now I'm wandering what are the natural steps to be able to start with Qt.
I have looked in to the documentation but as a beginner is not so clear for me 100%. I have no background with C++, the only contact with OOP concepts was in php, I'm able to understand some parts of the documentation but is a little bit difficult to make connections between some OOP concepts that I have saw.

Given the facts, what are the natural steps to fallow to be able to learn and understand Qt as a beginner in the field.

Thank you in advance.

d_stranz
6th September 2016, 22:04
Wow, if you don't know C++ you are going to have a hard time. If you have Web development experience, do you know any Python? There are a couple of Python wrappers for Qt (PyQt is probably one of the most well-known), so I would start there if you know Python.

Otherwise, I'd start by learning some C++ first, particularly understanding how inheritance and virtual methods work. Those are key C++ concepts used throughout Qt.

Another concept, not exclusive to C++, is event-driven programming. This is much different from older-style procedural programming where your program starts at the top and runs to the bottom and retains control the whole time. In event-driven programming, your program consists (usually) of small sections of code that get executed in response to something from the outside. All Qt programs are event-driven, and there are two types - "events", like mouse clicks, key presses, etc., and "signals" which are generated by other elements in your program. Your Qt program generally just sits there, waiting for an event to occur which you've written code to handle. It's a style of programming logic that takes some getting used to.

Once you feel comfortable with some basic C++, the Qt distribution comes with a huge set of examples and tutorials that cover almost every Qt module.

You can also write programs using Qt's QML language, similar to javascript. This might be an easier place to start if you are familiar with javascript, and if your goal is to develop small apps this might be all you need. For any serious desktop programs, I think you'll eventually need to learn the C++ side of Qt.

davinciomar
7th September 2016, 14:44
I think, we have a lot of tutorials of c++ and Qt on the internet. So we only need to check tutorials and start with easy examples. I dont know very well c++ too but i saw a lot of time this language and OOP(Object oriented-programming). I can do easy thing but anyways my level is too low.

So i think with the experience and practicing we could be better.