PDA

View Full Version : How to fill QListWidget with custom widgets by using QStringList as data model

EneRevo
7th November 2016, 15:39
Hi everyone,

I have a huge list of strings (up to 5.000) in a QStringList that I want to display in a custom way (not only as a simple list of strings).
Therefore I created a QWidget in designer in the way how each of my list entries should be displayed.

The custom QWidget:

In my mainview I want to have a QListWidget or QListView that uses my QStringList as data model (may I have to switch to QStringListModel) but display each line as one of the above QWidgets.
And if the data of the model (QStringList/Model) changes the QListWidget/View should update automatically.

My desired result (with display button mouseover):
Don't worry there will be a search bar too.

I know how to make a (simple) QListView that uses and reacts on changes of a model.
I also know how to get the custom QWidget into a QListWidget.
But I have no idea on how to connect these two things and have a view that is filled by and reacts on a models data and displays the data in custom widgets.

This is how I currently update my view.
It deletes all current entries fetches the list again and fills in everything again, but I think there has to be a way to make that easier/better.

void updateView() {
ui->listWidget->clear();
m_dataList->clear(); // QStringList

// fill the given QStringList with data
getData(m_dataList);

foreach (const QString &itemInList, m_dataList) {
ListEntry *entry = new ListEntry(itemInList, ui->listWidget);

QSize size(60, 60);
QListWidgetItem *item = new QListWidgetItem(listWidget);
item->setSizeHint(size);
listWidget->setItemWidget(item, entry);

connect(entry, &ListEntry::delete,
this, &MainWindow::onDeleteClicked);
}
}

Maybe there is just a little piece to solve it that I'm currently totally not aware of.

Kind regards for everyone to help out.

Killian
7th November 2016, 15:46
You might want to have a look at QItemDelegate (http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qitemdelegate.html).
Using a delegate enables you to completely customize the look of your items in a QListView (and other item containers as well).

EneRevo
8th November 2016, 07:36
This looks like the missing piece I wasn't aware of.

Thank you.

Edit:
Maybe I was a bit to fast.

The Delegate actually looks like what I wanted,
but I can't figure out how to use my designed QWidget with it or draw a QPushButton in the paint function (due to other forums and threads it isn't possible to draw a PushButton there, true?).