PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected pasting of text in qtcreator

nuliknol
10th December 2016, 17:52
I have been working with QTCreator for a while, and I found that it unexpectedly pastes text sometimes somewhere in the file where I am working in (editing) currently. Some times this pasted text compiles without error and gives me serious runtime bugs. I wonder if someone else noted this? I just suddenly find code snippets where they shouldn't be and I have no idea how that happened. Does some one seen this before ? I would think it pastes text on mouse click , but then why is this only happening to me with QT Creator and not any other application. (I am using Fedora 23.)

TIA
Nulik

d_stranz
10th December 2016, 19:13
Sounds like this could be one of those problems that originates somewhere between the chair and the keyboard...

I have had problems when using a laptop and touchpad where the pressure of my hands on the sides of the case near the touchpad can generate spurious mouse clicks. I know this because all of a sudden I find myself typing into some random place in my document instead of the place where I was originally typing. For that reason I always disable the touchpad and attach an external mouse. You probably use Qt Creator more often than other apps which is why you notice it there.

anda_skoa
11th December 2016, 12:39
Another possibility is that you accidentally do a middle-mouse-button click which pastes the last mouse selection.

An extremely useful X11 feature of you are aware of it but confusing if you are not.

Cheers,
_

nuliknol
12th December 2016, 01:59
Thanks guys. I found what it was. When I scrolled quickly (upwards) with the mouse wheel, the wheel (which is also the third button) was also being pressed, and pasting occurred. I will check if I can disable this third button in linux.

d_stranz
12th December 2016, 19:38
Sounds like this could be one of those problems that originates somewhere between the chair and the keyboard...

Like I said ;)