PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues with multiple visible Windows

Zmote89
30th April 2017, 20:53
Hello qtcenter forum,

I'm currently working on my pre-study at the university and am required to program a logging tool, which has following significant specifications:

being able to process logs in 20ms intervals (lower bar)
being able to visually show up to 20 Clients logging in tabbed view
being able to visually show up to 20 Clients in Floating Windows

Now, I've successfully covered the first two parts with Threads processing the logs and signaling the appropriate slots in the GUI Thread for adding the log entry to the appropriate table (QTreeView with Custom Table Model, inherited from QAbstractTableModel). This works fine for tabbed views, as only one tab is visible at all times, so the update of the view doesn't cause the GUI Thread to freeze.

But as soon as I have 20 Windows open, the GUI isn't responsive anymore.

The tool is a real-time logging tool, which usually is used on multi monitored system, where the windows are snapped next to one another and run 24/7. The logging application gathers logs from various other applications that use a logging library and send their logs over the network to a central computer, where the logging tool is running, where they are viewed and analysed. Eventhough I've been asked before why anyone would try to view 20 sepearte log windows at the same time, I can't deviate from this requirements, as it is, a requirement. Their old logging tool was able to handle it and I know from first hand experience with the old tool that it is indeed possible. But they used another ui framework for the old tool, so I can't just copy what they did. Also, I believe that framework supports drawing the UI elements from other threads, as the programmer of the old tool told me the windows are handled in just one thread. (Either that framework is pretty quick or the windows have internal threads running, redrawing themselves).

Following are relevant code segments of my application:

First off, the main window, which is a QMainWindow, this slot, handleProcessedLogs, is called per QueuedConnection from my CaptureThread, when a log or logs is/are readied.

void RT_Main::handleProcessedLogs(const QMap<QString, QList<QList<QString>>> rows) const
{
QElapsedTimer timer;
timer.start();
for (auto it = rows.cbegin(); it != rows.cend(); ++it)
{
const RT_Client& client = modell.getConstClient(it.key());
if (client.live())
{
client.addLog(it.value());
}
if (client.toParent())
{
const auto& groupClient = modell.getConstGroupClient(client.getGroupName());
if (groupClient.live())
{
groupClient.addLog(it.value());
}
if (groupClient.toParent())
{
const auto& globalClient = modell.getConstClient(RT_Constants::GLOBAL);
globalClient.addLog(it.value());
}
}
if (client.toGlobal())
{
const auto& globalClient = modell.getConstClient(RT_Constants::GLOBAL);
globalClient.addLog(it.value());
}
}
qDebug() << "handleProcessedLogs: " << timer.nsecsElapsed() / 1000 << "micro seconds";
}

The measurements show, with 20 clients visible and every 20ms 4 logs arriving yields a UI Time of 1-3 ms

The logs are prepared in a worker thread like this:

void RT_CaptureWorker::signalLogsReady()
{
if(!entries.isEmpty())
{
emit logsProcessed(entries);
entries.clear();
}
}

void RT_CaptureWorker::handleLog(const QString clientName, const QString groupName, const REP::PROTO::LogMsg & msg)
{
if (entries.contains(clientName))
{
entries[clientName].append(CommonLogUtils::prepareLogEntry(clientName , groupName, msg));
}
else
{
entries.insert(clientName, QList<QList<QString>>{CommonLogUtils::prepareLogEntry(clientName, groupName, msg)});
}
}

The CaptureWorker stores logs its readied in an internal container and when a signal to update arrives, signals the UI function mentioned above.

The UpdateWorker looks like this:

inline void RT_UpdateWorker::startUpdater()
{
while(true)
{
emit signalUpdate();
QThread::msleep(200);
}
}

Basically, it sends every 200ms a signal to update to the capture worker, which in turn, if it has something to update, signals the UI Thread handleProcessedLogs.

The Connections for the CaptureThread and UpdateWorker look like this (in the Constructor of the RApplication class):

{
thread = new QThread();
worker = new RT_CaptureWorker();
worker->moveToThread(thread);
connect(this, &RApplication::logReceived, worker, &RT_CaptureWorker::handleLog, Qt::ConnectionType::QueuedConnection);
connect(this, &RApplication::binaryLogReceived, worker, &RT_CaptureWorker::handleBinaryLog, Qt::ConnectionType::QueuedConnection);
thread->start();
updaterThread = new QThread();
updateWorker = new RT_UpdateWorker();
updateWorker->moveToThread(updaterThread);
connect(this, &RApplication::startUpdater, updateWorker, &RT_UpdateWorker::startUpdater);
connect(updateWorker, &RT_UpdateWorker::signalUpdate, worker, &RT_CaptureWorker::signalLogsReady, Qt::ConnectionType::QueuedConnection);
updaterThread->start();
emit startUpdater();
m_timestamp = CL::monoClk().now();
}

Also, my model performs bulk row updates, like this:

bool CustomTableModel::appendRow(const QList<QList<QString>> & rows)
{
if(listOfEntries.size() >= logHistoryLimit)
{
beginRemoveRows(QModelIndex(), 0, rows.size());
listOfEntries.removeFirst();
endRemoveRows();
}
beginInsertRows(QModelIndex(), listOfEntries.size(), listOfEntries.size() + rows.size());
for(const auto& row : rows)
{
listOfEntries.append(row);
}
endInsertRows();
return true;
}

The performance is pretty good for tabs from my measurements with QElapsedTimer, as mentioned, at 20 clients, with logs arriving at 20ms intervalls, the UI Time (ie. the itme handleProcessedLogs CPU Time) fluctuates between 1 and 3 ms. This measurements stays the same with 20 Client windows open --> I also did the same measurement within the models appendRow, same results.

Now, with 20 Client windows open, I can - relatively speaking - comfortably switch between the Windows, access UI Elements etc., but when I move the window, the lag is still considerable,also when I try to scroll the QTreeView, it's lagging still. Sometimes the UI doesn't react for half a second, too. It's all "jumpy" right now.

I ran a profiling session with Visual Studio and it reports to me that the slowest path is within the Qt5GUI.dll and Qt5Widgets.dll. Thus, I arrived at the conclusion that the problem must be within the Qt Frameworks drawing engine.

The Question now is: How can I optimize View updates to solve this performance issue? Do I have to subclass paint() function to achieve that or is there a better solution? Would using QGraphicsView instead of QTreeView help in any way? Is there a way to write your custom QTreeView and bind beginInsertRows/endInsertRows to an internal event-loop, so I could move the whole window ops to seperate threads?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Zaferium/reporting_004_zpsripmqaoz.png

Santosh Reddy
3rd May 2017, 06:04
If my observations are consistent.

In CustomTableModel::appendRow(), when logHistoryLimit is crossed, instead of removing and inserting the rows, it would be better to just update the data and emit QAbstractItemModel::dataChanged() signal.

Also there is a bug in CustomTableModel::appendRow(), when logHistoryLimit is crossed, you inform the view that rows.size() entries will be removed but remove only one row entry (removeFirst). Which could mean that you are just accumulating the log entries and not actually limiting at logHistoryLimit. Which will sure degrade performance over time as the entries are never actually removed from internal container of CustomTableModel.

d_stranz
4th May 2017, 01:39
Not only is that bug there, but I think that the calling sequence beginRemoveRows / endRemoveRows / beginInsertRows / endInsertRows might result in the table view being updated twice, once after each end...() call.

In effect, though, removing from the front of the FIFO and appending to the end means that the entire view must be updated anyway each time the FIFO is changed, because everything has to be moved up N rows. As Santosh says, you would be better off emitting dataChanged() or using beginModelReset / endModelReset at the beginning and end of your append method.

Zmote89
4th May 2017, 19:48
Thanks for the hints, the RemoveRows thing wasn't working anyway, so it's good to see what the possible bugs maybe.

d_stranz
4th May 2017, 20:20
so it's good to see what the possible bugs maybe.

The bug with that is that you were removing only a single row, not N of them. You need to call "listOfEntries.removeFirst()" N times if you want to remove the first N items in the list. A wiser program would also check first to see that the size of the list is >= N before trying to remove N items.