PDA

View Full Version : Share Device settings with remote team

Puneet2793
24th May 2017, 14:19
I am working on an application in QT, actually its for BBB. One of my friend also wants to replicate the same work but he is stuck in setting up BBB kit, like adding device, compilers. He have the required toolchain and setup. Is there any way that I can push my QT project on Github and he just have to clone the project, and without setting up the kit, can he build the same project using my device configurations ?
In a straight line how can I share my local device configuration regarding a new kit with my remote team ??

jefftee
24th May 2017, 22:22
Github, any many other sites like it, are exactly designed for sharing work. I would limit your Github repository to the pro file and any of your source files. The idea being that your friends clone the project and perform a build on their own systems, etc.

Puneet2793
25th May 2017, 07:41
So you mean to say that, If I push my .pro file along with project. He should be able to do a clean build with my settings after cloning the project from github
?

d_stranz
25th May 2017, 17:12
That's the idea. But if you have hard-coded paths to files, headers, or other things that don't exist on the other guy's system, it will fail.

He also needs to have a complete build environment installed that matches yours, and he will need to configure Qt Creator to use it with the project. The .pro file doesn't contain any information about what tools to use to build the project. It only contains information about the files in the project and the external include files and libraries needed to compile and link it. That's why you can use the same .pro file to build a project on linux, Windows, Mac, Android, or any of the other platforms that Qt supports.