PDA

View Full Version : Qt Linguist: am I doing this right?

PierreA
16th July 2017, 07:28
I ran lupdate on my program and got a file juliaskein.ts:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE TS>
<TS version="2.0">
<context>
<name>JuliaWidget</name>
<message>
<location filename="jwidget.cpp" line="11"/>
<source>Julia Skein</source>
<translation type="unfinished"></translation>
</message>
</context>
</TS>
The single string is used as the window title. I then made two copies and edited them in Qt Linguist:

<!DOCTYPE TS>
<TS version="2.0" language="en_US">
<context>
<name>JuliaWidget</name>
<message>
<translation>Julia Skein</translation>
</message>
</context>
</TS>

<!DOCTYPE TS>
<TS version="2.0" language="es">
<context>
<name>JuliaWidget</name>
<message>
<translation>Madeja Julia</translation>
</message>
</context>
</TS>
I have both juliaskein_en.ts and juliaskein_es.ts open in Qt Linguist; that's working fine. However, if I open juliaskein.ts, it pops up a dialog box asking what the target language is. This file doesn't have a target language; it should not have any translated strings. What should I do so that it opens without a target language and without asking for a target language? Is there a way to start a new translation in Qt Linguist, or do I just copy a file and edit it?

Infinity
17th July 2017, 22:59
So the file juliaskein.ts is your template for creating the actual translations. This approach does not seem very useful to me because next time you want to add a further translation the template might be already outdated. Instead I would just call lupdate to create new translations and of course to update existing ones.

When using CMake you can automate calling lupdate/lrelease by using Qt Linguist macros: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/cmake-manual.html
It is also possible to automate the process using qmake: https://wiki.qt.io/Automating_generation_of_qm_files

PierreA
23rd July 2017, 06:52
So, once I've created the first translation, I don't need to keep juliaskein.ts around, and I copy an existing translation to create a new translation? Or do I add it to a list in CMakeLists to create a new translation?