PDA

View Full Version : How can I use appman in multi process mode in Linux?

arasbm
16th November 2017, 02:21
I just signed up on this forum because I was excited to see [this post about qt application manager](http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/68940-Qt-App-Manager?highlight=application+manager). There is not a lot of information about appman out there, but I am evaluating it for using with our application that will run on a Linux tablet. Currently I am just testing appman to see if it is suitable. My main goal behind using appman is to isolate less critical functions of the app (such as browsing a tutorial) from main functionality of the app such as controlling hydraulic valves, so that bugs in a less critical part of the app does not hinder the main functionality.

My question is: can I use appman in multiprocess mode under Linux? It looks like by default it is running in single process mode and when I try to run it in multi process I get this critical error:

appman -c am-config.yaml -r --start-session-dbus --force-multi-process
[CRIT | am.system] WARNING: for the installer to work correctly, the executable needs to be run either as root via sudo or SUID (preferred)
[CRIT | am.system] (using fallback implementation - you might experience permission errors on installer operations)
[CRIT | am.system] ERROR: This application manager build is not multi-process capable.

high_flyer
16th November 2017, 10:17
By default appman builds in multi process mode and it seems that for ever reason you built yours in single process mode.
You can pass a config flag to make it build in multi process mode:
https://doc.qt.io/QtApplicationManager/installation.html#building

I am working on an automotive infotainment system based on appman I am not an appman core developer but they are sitting in the next room ;-).
If you need answers about appman, I suggest you register to the Qt mailing lists, I know they (the appman developers) are subscribed, and the automotive list probably would be the best place for appman related questions.

arasbm
20th November 2017, 21:12
I tried to configure the appman project in multi-process mode, but I am getting the following error:

$ qmake -config force-multi-process
Project ERROR: You forced multi-process mode, but the QtCompositor module is not available

The appman docmentation also says that it needs QtWayland module to run in multi-process mode.

I have installed all the dependancies that I know of. I am using Qt v5.9.2 on Ubuntu 17.10 (64bit).

How can I make sure those modules are available on my Linux machine?

high_flyer
21st November 2017, 10:46
How can I make sure those modules are available on my Linux machine?
You mean the ones you installed?
Try to install them again, your package manager will tell you if they are already present or not