PDA

View Full Version : Stretch - Ough!

Radek
2nd January 2018, 18:55
I have installed Debian 9 (KDE) and the Qt SDK. Then I tried to compile a simple project. The project compiled ok in Debian 8. It also compiled now, in Debian 9 but the resulting file is a shared library instead of an executable. Strange - the "shared library" can run inside the Creator. Even more strange - the "shared library" can run from a prompt in the terminal. But it refuse to run from the desktop. Yes, "run in the terminal" wasn't selected during building. It's a simple desktop window application. Yes, the .pro file contains "TEMPLATE = app".

What have I forgotten?

ChrisW67
3rd January 2018, 09:09
If it can be run directly from a shell prompt then it must be either an executable or shell script (with shebang line). What makes you think it is a "shared library"?

If it runs inside Creator and from your shell prompt but not when launched using a desktop icon then the most likely cause is the different environment in which the executable is being launched. In the shell/Creator the system library path, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are suitable for the application to find its libraries etc., and in the desktop environment they are not. Are the Qt runtime librarfolders in the system default library path (/etc/ld.so.conf)?

Radek
3rd January 2018, 09:50
"Shared library" is reported by the Properties. Sure, it is an executable and not a library but it happened somehow that the executable got a MIME type of a shared library. Nice, but what should I do with it?
The environment: it seems to be okay if the "shared library" runs from terminal launched outside Creator.

Notes:
Debug build is also a "shared library".
The "shared library does not have the .so extent.