PDA

View Full Version : Qt Creator SSH error when new kit/device created in QtCreator

davethomaspilot
16th May 2018, 00:22
I get this error when I click the "Test" button in Options->Devices in QtCreator

Connecting to host...

SSH connection failure: SSH Protocol error: Server identification string is invalid (missing carriage return).

Device test failed.

A screen shot is attached.

On the device side, I see this in /var/log/auth.log:

error: Received disconnect from 192.168.0.74 port 60051:2: Identification string is invalid. [preauth]
May 15 22:01:32 Ipad2GMA sshd[762]: Disconnected from 192.168.0.74 port 60051 [preauth]

I'm running QtCreator in a Ubuntu VM session running on windows. I can ssh into the remote device in a terminal using password with no issue, from either the VM session or putty running on windows.

The remote device is a pi zero w running Stretch Lite. I've been using the same VM session and QtCreator for other rpi kits (but Wheezy/Jessie, not Stretch) for several years without issues.

I've googled the error text and see others reporting this issue, but I couldn't find a workaround.

Maybe it would work with a key? But, where to find doc on how to do that? (but, I can also ssh with key (no password) from a terminal without issue).

Any workaround suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Qt Creator 3.3.0 (opensource)
Based on Qt 5.4.0 (GCC 4.6.1, 64 bit)

Built on Dec 8 2014 at 15:21:39

From revision d36c4d87db

Added after 42 minutes:

I deleted the device and recreated it.

Now, it's working.

The first time I didn't have all the fields correct. However, I edited them and they were exactly what worked when I deleted then recreated the device.

So, for what it's worth, maybe something gets saved (white space?) when you edit the fields that can't be seen.

But, I'm working now.