PDA

View Full Version : PyQt4 vs QtDesigner vs QtCreator

Vysero
2nd July 2018, 22:05
I recently went through a video tutorial on using PyQt4 and the series ended with a video discussing Qt Designer. At my new job we also have a license for using Qt Creator. I have a a couple of questions. My first question is when should I be using which? Can I do everything I am able to do with PyQt4 in Qt Designer or Qt Creator? PyQt4 is in python, what about Designer and Creator?

Vysero
3rd July 2018, 18:16
PyQt is a wrapper for the Qt libraries; PyQt and PySide are Python bindings for Qt. You can write Qt applications using the Python programming language instead of C++ with PyQt. There is no official connection between PyQt and Qt; however, if you are using a commercial version of QT you could consider PySide which IS officially supported by Qt. "Using PyQt instead of the original C++ library makes it easy to deploy pure QML applications to a wider audience through Anaconda packages", which might indicate its use over Qt Creator. If your PyQt4 application has .ui files, they can be used in either Qt Creator or Qt Designer.

Qt creator can work with an existing PyQt application: https://dragly.org/2017/02/26/using-pyqt-in-qt-creator/

-Is about the answer I was looking for, Thanks Qt Centre for all the help! I will be sure to come back here if I have any more questions regarding Qt because your so helpful around here!!!