PDA

View Full Version : Total Newb Question - Why? Is terrminal the only way to open some qt apps

TheVoice
8th February 2019, 21:32
Ok

So my question is this

Mainly in Linux

Why do some QT apps only open by using terminal.

I will download an app and in linux I can click on it and it will run and then Ill download another app and I have to (make sure permissions are correct) But the ./applicatoin-qt to run it.

What is the reason that it compiles one way to open from terminal and another way to open just by clicking an alias.

anda_skoa
9th February 2019, 08:07
All programs can be started through the command line shell or the graphical shell.
Neither shell really cares about the program it launches.

The programs themselves can have graphical UI, shell/text based UI or even no UI at all.

Running the latter two from a graphical shell either requires a terminal application to show their text output or the user will simply not see anything.

Cheers,
_

tuli
10th February 2019, 22:44
Sometimes author do trickery with the library path so they can supply their own builds of Qt libraries with their app.

TheVoice
11th February 2019, 18:26
Yeah I was just wondering.

It funny one day you download and it works all in GUI. The next update is only works by ./application-qt

this is usually the case with blockchain wallets.

This can be configured when the Qt Compiles to right!

renotien1102
21st February 2019, 07:26
thanks for information

chrispeddler
21st May 2019, 08:53
All programs can be started through the command line shell or the graphical shell.
Neither shell really cares about the program it launches.

The programs themselves can have graphical UI, shell/text based UI or even no UI at all.

Running the latter two from a graphical shell either requires a terminal application to show their text output or the user will simply not see anything.

Cheers,
_

Thanks for the info. I'm a newbie programmer trying to understanding Qt programming. Your post gave me understanding about what programs works well in Qt.

NatalieK3
10th July 2020, 14:55
Thanks for your answers, it helped me