PDA

View Full Version : Change work area OS

pakulo
14th May 2007, 11:18
I need to change work area in the OS. For example standart work are in Window XP it is all screen minus height of the task bar (where Start button and clock).
My program must situated in the right on the screen and change width of the work area OS.

Thanks

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 12:13
Amm... at least I am not sure what you are saying...
If you need to have a dialog/top widgets on a ceratin location on the desk top, you can need to have that widget as a child of the desktop widget, and you can use move() to place it anywhere on the desktop.

pakulo
14th May 2007, 12:35
If maximize some window it is have rectangle.width() = workAreaWidth and rectangle.height() = workAreaHeight

and i want changle the work area width and height.
if my program situated in the right of the screen, any program that maximized would have width() = screenWidth() - myProgramWidth().

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 12:39
do you mean you want to change how other programs maximize their windows?
Did I get you right?

pakulo
14th May 2007, 12:46
yes

for example if set task bar (panel where Start button, clock e.c.) in the right of the screen, all programs will be have width = screenWidth - widthTaskBar automatically

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 12:56
this is window manager specific (if at all possible).
This is not included in Qt functionality.

pakulo
14th May 2007, 13:18
it is a pity, because i see this func in many programs :)

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 13:22
I have never seen it - can you give some examples?

pakulo
14th May 2007, 14:21
I can try to find english program
But if you know russian you can see Agent mail.ru
http://agent.mail.ru/
Press button "Загрузить сейчас!"
I need more time to find in english something :)

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 14:45
I need more time to find in english something
Which was my point - this is an exositc thing (so not so "many programs"), and as I said, it taps directly into the window manager.

pakulo
14th May 2007, 14:52
I use only russian programs, thats why i need time to find it in english...

It is impossible to write what i want in QT, for example only for Window OS

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 14:58
I use only russian programs, thats why i need time to find it in english...
Thats no problem - other russian progams are also ok.

It is impossible to write what i want in QT, for example only for Window OS
You can do this as part of a Qt application of course - but the functionality is not offered by Qt ite slef, since its window manager specific, and Qt is cross platform, which meas, it implements the most used aspects on all major platforms.
Any window manager or OS specifics you will have to do your self, or use 3rd party code.

pakulo
14th May 2007, 15:04
In Qt i can get the size of work area. May be it is not difficult to set my own work area size?
May be somebody know where i can find some information about it and write own module?

high_flyer
14th May 2007, 15:09
the problem is that you want to influence other programs behaviour.
No program can do that directly.
The only way to do that is for your program to tell the window manager what the new rules are.

Brandybuck
14th May 2007, 20:01
it is a pity, because i see this func in many programs :)
Yes, and these programs are directly calling Win32 to do this. You will need to do the same, and if you want the app to be crossplatform, do the equivalent under X11 and Aqua as well.

pakulo
15th May 2007, 07:20
Thanks for all...