PDA

View Full Version : How to use focusInEvent method of QWidget by inheriting QTabWidget?

npatil15
10th December 2019, 04:59
Hello,

I'm trying as shown below,
We already have this,

class Q_WIDGETS_EXPORT QWidget : public QObject, public QPaintDevice
{
//Standard Class
protected:
virtual void focusInEvent(QFocusEvent *event);
virtual void focusOutEvent(QFocusEvent *event);
}
class Q_WIDGETS_EXPORT QTabWidget : public QWidget
{
//Standard Class
}

Now below, I'm trying to access virtual methods from QWidget, but I'm unable to do that, may be I'm missing some simple basics behind it.

class MyWidget : public QTabWidget
{
Q_OBJECT
public:
virtual void focusInEvent(QFocusEvent *event);
virtual void focusOutEvent(QFocusEvent *event);
}
void MyWidget::focusInEvent(QFocusEvent *event)
{
qDebug()<<"focusInEvent";

QWidget::focusInEvent(event);
}

void MyWidget::focusOutEvent(QFocusEvent *event)
{
qDebug()<<"focusOutEvent";
QWidget::focusOutEvent(event);
}

I can access virtual methods from QTabWidget but not from QWidget, please give me suggestions on what I'm mistaking here?
Or its protected, that why I'm unable to access it, is there any way to access such protected methods?

Ginsengelf
10th December 2019, 07:08
Hi, what happens? I would say that your code should work, although I would call QTabWidget::focusInEvent() instead of QWidget::focusInEvent(). Your code skips the QTabWidget, which might not be what you want.

Ginsengelf

d_stranz
10th December 2019, 17:33
I don't understand the point of making these virtual protected methods public in a derived class. It isn't like you can manually call them from some other class - they are called from within Qt when focus enters or leaves the widget. If you want to implement some custom behavior for these events, then you can either derive from QTabWidget (and leave the methods protected) or use QTabWidget itself and install an event handler on the instance.

I agree with Ginsengelf - if your base class is QTabWidget, then you should be calling those event handlers and not the ones for QWidget.