PDA

View Full Version : what's the matter with my qt applications?

xylosper
12th June 2007, 12:42
First of all, English is not my mother tongue, I think there are some(or many) wrong expressions.

I installed Ubuntu 7.04 at last weekend, and I faced a problem.

The Applications I built with Qt4 look very "ugly".

Please see this image.
http://xylosper.net/att.png

It's assistant application built when Qt4 libraries was built, and all characters in the application look "dirty".

The characters of all applications built with Qt including not only what I made but also ones built when Qt4 libs was built look same.

Does anybody what's wrong with my applications?

The version of Qt is 4.3.0 open source edition for x11, and the OS is Ubuntu 7.04.

high_flyer
12th June 2007, 12:52
I don't see any problem.
But if you don't like the used font, change the used font in KDE seetings (locale).
It has nothing to do with Qt.

Waywocket
12th June 2007, 13:30
I'm not sure if the KDE font settings have any effect on Qt4, but try changing the options on the fonts tab in qtconfig. I can't see anything wrong with the image either though, unless you're talking about the fonts in the Context2D and Calculator screenshots, which I presume you aren't. In those cases I think whoever took the screenshots at Trolltech had gone a little nuts with antialising :P.

jens
12th June 2007, 14:00
Unless you changed from Ubuntu's defaults I guess you should have anti-aliased text in that picture, meaning smoother fonts. I suspect the reason you are not seeing this is that you built Qt yourself and did not have all the correct dependencies set up before running configure. If you run configure again and look at the output at the beginning you should see a list _roughly_ like this :

XShape support .... yes
Xcursor support .... yes
Xrander support ... yes
Xrender support ... yes
FontConfig support ... yes

If any of those are missing you need to install the missing library. Then run configure and compile qt again. Alternatively, you could use the pre-compiled Qt version that is available through the official Ubuntu repositories.

xylosper
12th June 2007, 17:25
high_flyer //
You can see that the shape of assistant's characters is different from that of characters in screenshots in assistant.
And my OS's GUI is not KDE but GNOME.
Thank you.

Waywocket //
I've already tried changing fonts with qtconfig. It works for changing font, but doesn't make font characters smooth.
Thank you.

jens //
I think you're right.
I checked them, and the result is...

XShape support ...... yes
Xinerama support .... no
Xcursor support ..... no
Xfixes support ...... no
Xrandr support ...... yes
Xrender support ..... yes
FontConfig support .. no

I rebuild with Qt I downloaded from Debian packages, and now, I can see clear fonts!

The problem solved. Thank you.