PDA

View Full Version : History proves global commerce is good

Ladig67
21st June 2007, 07:35
History proves that global commerce is good for the world. The globalization has led to the fast growth of offshore outsourcing. For many years now, India has been the undisputed King in offshore outsourcing. It is hard to predict where the next outsourcing destinations will be despite a number of emerging locations.

With more and more work, being shipped offshore there is a hue and cry against outsourcing in countries like America. However, less than 20% of the outsourced work gets shipped off to offshore destinations.

America has always been the land of innovations and new technology. It can doubtless regroup and rise up with fresh ideas to survive and flourish in this modern times. In a society that fosters independent thinking and rewards innovation, ambition and free enterprise, the emergence of a better business model is inevitable.

In today’s global economy, the division of labor between Asia's giants is clear. China, the world's factory floor, makes everything from shoes to computers. India, the world's back office, does things - from fixing software glitches to chasing down credit card debt. India's services sector is red hot and with IT ruling the day, India is on the top of the outsourcing pyramid.

India and China are both vast countries open to development, filled with opportunities. India with its solid underpinnings for economic growth, including a democratic government, a strong education system, widespread knowledge of English and a deep pool of expatriates experienced in Western businesses is the preferred destination not only for service outsourcing but for future manufacturing investment too.

There has been a lot of outcry against offshoring and outsourcing to India and other similar locations, but the bottom line is, it is a globalized world. People will work harder for less in markets like India and China, and more production work will be moving to these countries.

Large numbers of Indian entrepreneurs have been able to work abroad as expatriates in many roles. This will manifest in the kind of businesses they develop, particularly in information technology, and the pace with which they're going to be able to have technologies migrate from India. India has an advantage in healthcare including biotech, pharmaceuticals and telemedicine.

fullmetalcoder
21st June 2007, 11:04
Whooo!:eek: Such a great praise of globalization and outsourcing!:p

Still, I don't quite get its point...

AFAIK history hasn't proven much so far... I only demonstrated the high potential of human dumbness and the ease with which mankind can destroy happily itself and its environment (some would say : "lobbing petrol bombs together in happy harmony"...). The world is getting global that's for sure. Some enjoy it, some are afraid and a vast majority don't really care...

I'm not an expert of outsourcing topics, just a student interested in programming, (call me an evil Western imperialist if you wish ;)) which, due to the job of his mother (geography teacher) is aware of some things... India and China do develop but the social inequalities grow exponentially... Besides, the US have long "backed" China hoping that economic growth would lead the communist dictatorship to its end but it appears that those taking advantage of the economic growth no longer see much point in seeing democracy replacing communism because they'd have to share their new wealth...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "opportunities" you're talking about are not open to anyone...

drarem
21st June 2007, 13:53
I second that, second poster, I'm a evil westerner too and would like to have an IT job and not have to serve them fries or clean up after them - except possibly in retirement. :p

This is a little offtopic but China isn't regulated as well as the US is in terms of environment and public safety - we have so many agencies ready to fine and collect on the smallest infraction it is unreal (based on laws most probably created by these same agencies just for that reason). That is mainly why we are going offshore to less-regulated areas, plus it is cheaper to operate.

That's my opinion, anyway.

high_flyer
21st June 2007, 15:00
There has been a lot of outcry against offshoring and outsourcing to India and other similar locations, but the bottom line is, it is a globalized world.
But that has nothing to do with globalisation.
The rich always were rich because they coud sell expencive something made with cheap labor - in any kind of economy during history.

People will work harder for less in markets like India and China, and more production work will be moving to these countries.
This again, needs to be put in perspective.
One must remember, that it will not stay in India and China (as an example).
That is a dynamic process, and it moves as the shift of living quality changes in the world.
One can see that in east Europe.
You could buy a house for few thausand Euro's few yeras back, the same property today costs 10 folds, and it will go up fast untill it will reach the EU propery prices.
It is the same with work in east europe.
It wont be long before east europe will be on the same economical level as the west is today.
Then, all that was done in east europe because it was cheaper there will move to the coutries that are not yet at that level, and where it is still cheaper.
China is the next world power, economically, and therefore politically as well, with over 20%!!! groth rate a year! (and 1.3 bil. people)

I think globalisation is about exactly the oposite thing.
The reach countries (actually their governments) have less and less "poor" areas to use, which will force them (us) to carry more of the load than today, and they don't quite know how to avoid that.
One way is through wars.
Another way is through creating inner markets, but that is very hard to make and maintain in a stable way.

Ofcourse, only my opinion.

jacek
22nd June 2007, 13:29
Still, I don't quite get its point...
I think the point was the link to some outsourcing company I've removed yesterday.