PDA

View Full Version : just a little question

NobodyPerfect
18th February 2006, 00:45
I installed Qt4 free version on my computer. And now i
don't know what to do next. Can you help me (please)
and explain how to set project settings in Visual c++
6 and Borland C++ Builder 6 to work. Also i have
earlier version of Qt opensource on my SUSE Linux 9.2.
When i try to use some #include <........> KDevelop
displays message - no such file.... blah, blah.... so
if you know how to set KDevelop project to work with
qt (the same problem with Visual c++ 6 and borland...
under windows) PLEASE HELP :)

jacek
18th February 2006, 00:55
I installed Qt4 free version on my computer. And now i
don't know what to do next. Can you help me (please)
and explain how to set project settings in Visual c++
6 and Borland C++ Builder 6 to work.
Open Source version of Qt 4 for windows doesn't work with those compilers out of the box. Did you try using MinGW?

Also i have earlier version of Qt opensource on my SUSE Linux 9.2.
When i try to use some #include <........> KDevelop
displays message - no such file.... blah, blah.... so
if you know how to set KDevelop project to work with
qt
Which KDevelop version do you have? Older ones have problems with Qt4 (especially when it comes to resources).

yop
18th February 2006, 01:00
Qt4 will only work with the mingw compiler so you can forget about msvc and borland. In linux the topic has already been addressed, in sort:

export QTDIR=[your Qt 4 installation path]
export PATH=[your Qt 4 installation path]/bin:$PATH

Enjoy

NobodyPerfect
18th February 2006, 21:01
I used MinGW, standard .exe installation - free version which i got from trolltech website. If i install in usual steps - .exe installation - would qt work in visual studio 6 withouth setting any options in visual studio 6 project? For example, i installed Coin3d library for opengl. I found manual about setting project in visual studio 6. I set lib, include path dll etc. Coin3d worked. So, i want know do i need same thing with qt? I tried to set some settings (lib path, include path) for visual studio 6 project, but i dont know the rest. Visual studio 6 recogniozes paths and accepts header files, but when i start using qt in visual studio 6 i have error messages. I tried simple qt "hello world" tutorial to do, but there was error message too. I know that is probably in my project settings in visual studio 6. I just need right settings information.

yop
18th February 2006, 23:53
Officially the open source version works only with MinGW

michel
19th February 2006, 19:06
Visual studio 6 recogniozes paths and accepts header files, but when i start using qt in visual studio 6 i have error messages. I tried simple qt "hello world" tutorial to do, but there was error message too. I know that is probably in my project settings in visual studio 6. I just need right settings information.

No, you can't do it. It intentionally lacks support for it. From the Trolltech FAQs:

Entry number: 389 - Why is there no support for Microsoft Visual Studio compilers in your Windows Open Source Edition?

There are two main reasons. We want our Open Source Edition to support an Open Source compiler. The logical choice then is to support the Windows version of gcc, MinGW. The second reason is that we need to balance our need for sustainable business with our want to support Open Source. We are releasing the full Qt API and set of tools as Open Source on Windows, so there is no difference in the available product. All Open Source developers have access to MinGW. We believe that support for Microsoft compilers is one area where we can meaningfully differentiate between commercial and Open Source use.

(Source: http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/index.html?catid=&id=389#answer)

In other words, they want to stay in business and it would be harder to do that from the open source community than from win32 programmers who are also trying to make a buck with closed-source programs written in VC++ (or corporations with in-house development teams making proprietary company applications). It is a pity for people who would like to make open source programs for win32 in VC++, but on the bright side you can consider it a minor redistribution of wealth.

NobodyPerfect
20th February 2006, 15:36
Thank you guys. I understand. I tought if the visual stuidio 6 and borland are the most frequently used it would obvious that library will work on this platforms. I will use MinGW instead.

Best Regards

wysota
20th February 2006, 16:25
I tought if the visual stuidio 6 and borland are the most frequently used it would obvious that library will work on this platforms.

It does, but only if you pay for it (as you have to pay for those compilers too, that shouldn't seem odd :rolleyes: ).