PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Compiling Linux to Windows

xgoan
4th July 2007, 08:28
Hi,

I'm developing multiplatform projects. But I don't want to reboot my computer to build a Windows release.
I have Debian Etch and MinGW for linux package installed.

I have tried with Wine but it does not work

Thanks

guilugi
4th July 2007, 08:32
Maybe you can use a virtual machine to run a Windows instance in one of your Linux windows ;-)

QEmu and VirtualBox work fine, really fast.

xgoan
4th July 2007, 09:10
Maybe you can use a virtual machine to run a Windows instance in one of your Linux windows ;-)

QEmu and VirtualBox work fine, really fast.

This is a valid solution for my home computer (Core 2 Duo 6420).

But at work I only have a P4@2.8 GHz And QEmu it's toooooooooooo slow with XP :(

guilugi
4th July 2007, 09:14
Haha, QEmu only yes :)
But did you try KQEmu ?

http://kqemu.sourceforge.net

xgoan
4th July 2007, 11:57
Haha, QEmu only yes :)
But did you try KQEmu ?

http://kqemu.sourceforge.net

kqemu is a kernel module, and the processor must support it.

And the link is from kqemu, the kommander script :P

guilugi
4th July 2007, 13:40
Lol, sorry ;-)

Well, if your core support it, it would be great to use it : it improves greatly performances !

elcuco
4th July 2007, 14:00
(I did not try it myself yet, but)

How about "apt-get install mingw" ? I made simple exe's and maybe it's possible to compile qt4 under linux using mingw. That could be a fine waste of CPU cycles. I will try it myself now :)

guilugi
4th July 2007, 14:11
Sounds quite good ;-)

Keep us in touch, that may be just awesome, if I could use distcc to compile win32 exes :-D

xgoan
5th July 2007, 07:41
Lol, sorry ;-)

Well, if your core support it, it would be great to use it : it improves greatly performances !

My home-computer support it and the perfomance of Windows host is almost perfect

xgoan
5th July 2007, 07:47
(I did not try it myself yet, but)

How about "apt-get install mingw" ? I made simple exe's and maybe it's possible to compile qt4 under linux using mingw. That could be a fine waste of CPU cycles. I will try it myself now :)

My mingw package has not mingw32-make :(

fullmetalcoder
5th July 2007, 20:44
My mingw package has not mingw32-make :(
Theoretically you don't need it... All you have to do is create a mkspecs for qmake (have a look at all the existing ones) so that mingw bins will be used instead of regular gcc ones; Then runninhg qmake and make should work smoothly... Please note that this remains theoretical... All my attempts to make cross-compiling of Qt-apps failed so far because of a linking error of Qt libs (using win-compiled ones) and I wasn't able to compile Qt using my cross compiler (but as a side note I shall metion that I wasn't able to compile it with regular gcc as well and was forced to use prebuilt binaries ...).