PDA

View Full Version : IDE for Linux

steg90
5th July 2007, 13:29
Hi,

I have GNOME on my linux box, can I use KDevelop to develop Qt applications on this?

Regards,
Steve

guilugi
5th July 2007, 14:44
Sure you can, but it will install you numerous KDE Libs you wouldn't find that useful ;-)

A lighter solution might be QDevelop, it's becoming very good !

steg90
5th July 2007, 15:05
Thanks,

I've taken a look at QDevelop and it looks great.

fullmetalcoder
5th July 2007, 21:02
FYI there are several other similar IDE availables :

Cobras (no longer very active...) : Can't remember the exact link but search somewhere around beesoft.org
Monkey Studio : http://monkeystudio.org
Edyuk : http://edyuk.sf.netAll these are written in c++/Qt4 and primarily targeted for this environment but they differ in the feature list (with/without) debugging, completion, designer integration, ... Some may think there is a waste of time and energy in leading so many concurrent projects (it might be true) but history led to this situation and this allow sane concurrence and wider choice for users who are not forced to use one because it's the only available but can choose the one they like most :)

Michiel
5th July 2007, 22:28
Nicely done, fmc. Very subtle. ;-)

steg90
6th July 2007, 09:37
Thanks for the info :)

Just had a look at Monkey studio, looks nice.

What are other people using to develop on linux? There seems so many IDE's, I just want to go with the majority.

Regards,
Steve

Michiel
6th July 2007, 09:45
I don't like IDE's myself. I want to feel like I have total control over my own code. That means: Kate + Konsole.

I don't suppose that's very helpful to you. :)

guilugi
6th July 2007, 10:54
Yep, I don't like IDEs a lot, too...

My vote goes to GVim ;-)

On Windows, I don't like GVim a lot, so I use QDevelop

steg90
6th July 2007, 11:54
Maybe I should use vi ;)

I kinda use to using nice IDE's having come from windows background ( visual studio, .Net ).

Surely some IDE's help you get the job done quicker?

guilugi
6th July 2007, 13:09
Maybe I should use vi ;)

I kinda use to using nice IDE's having come from windows background ( visual studio, .Net ).

Surely some IDE's help you get the job done quicker?

Sure, for a long time I've ben using KDevelop, and it was really cool to design Qt-based applications (at this time, Qt3 only)...

Then I switched to Vim, because I started being tired of huge IDEs, now I love simplicity of Vim...
And it's not really complicated to manage Qt apps "by hand" (thanks qmake ;-)

niko
6th July 2007, 19:41
i use kdevelop. code-completion is a very usefull feature - and works perfect in kdevelop.
also the class-wizad is quite helpful sometimes...
the qmake-manager i don't really use - most times i edit the pro file by hand

niko

daracne
7th July 2007, 01:09
KDevelop or Eclipse are two of my favorite IDEs on linux, however I prefer KDevelop over Eclipse.

Tux-Slack
10th July 2007, 22:02
Most of it I use KDevelop. Kind of got used to it. :)

codebehind
12th July 2007, 07:52
I'm using Vim and QDesigner.

ivan.cukic
12th July 2007, 10:50
Vim with QDesigner mostly.

At the moment I'm testing Eclipse with QT plugin and I can say that I'm very pleased at the moment.

guilugi
12th July 2007, 13:08
I should seriously try Eclipse now :)

fullmetalcoder
12th July 2007, 13:24
I should seriously try Eclipse now :)
Eclipse is SLOOOOOOOOOOW and memory consumming, as all big Java-based applications are... I tried using it monthes ago and I soon removed it from my computer : it's such a waste of space when you don't have a brand new high end hardware...

guilugi
12th July 2007, 13:36
Well, I'd like to see how it works...I'm pretty sure I won't keep it though ;-)

I remember of JEdit, I used to develop with it, long time ago lol, it was a damn good one..
But yeah, I don't like Java's heavy machineries...

Gopala Krishna
12th July 2007, 14:15
any EMACSeans there ?? :cool:
Though i am not an expert in emacs i am finding it good and looks like i can master some of cool commands in upcoming vacation for me.

guilugi
12th July 2007, 14:25
Yeees, I have worked with Emacs a lot, ultra powerful :-D
But nowadays, I still prefer Vim.

marcel
14th July 2007, 17:28
Yes. You said very nice things( posts #7 through #20).
But how do you guys manage in a large project( hundreds to thousands of source files)?

Do you use grep + emacs( or kate, etc? ) + gdb.

No need to add that an IDE makes developing a lot easier, especially with an integrated debugger(gdb or whatever).

Regards

Gopala Krishna
15th July 2007, 06:00
But how do you guys manage in a large project( hundreds to thousands of source files)?

If there are hundreds/thousands of files even an IDE can't make it *very* easy. So it is usually bit diffucult to manage them be it an ide or plain editors.
But in my case i use etags and sometimes ebrowse that comes bundled with emacs. They help to jump to a particular function,definition.. as it is done visually in ide's.

Emacs is already integrated with grep and gdb. If you grep from emacs, you can jump to the particular line by just pressing ret on the required result line.
The same for gdb too. It gives similar interface as in ide's with exception being commands and keybindings are used maximum instead of mouse clicks.

No need to add that an IDE makes developing a lot easier, especially with an integrated debugger(gdb or whatever).

Regards

True :) It is always good to start with ide's initially(and even continue if you like it)
BTW emacs is also an IDE, but not a fancy one.
One of the main advantages of emacs,vim is very fast text editing. They help in accomplishing most of things a developer need only using keyboard rather than mouse and this really boosts productivity. There are lots of other advantages as well.
If you have some free time you have a look at this (http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/06/shiny-and-new-emacs-22.html) for practical examples and also this (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/) for a brief emacs tour.

Michiel
15th July 2007, 15:27

Well, to be honest, I've never worked on a project with more than 30 or so source-files and a simple editor works perfectly for projects that size.

No need for grep (yet), since I've never really worked in a team. And when I have, I did all the typing. I know my own source-code.

Kate is a fine application. Syntax highlighting. Multiple files open at the same time. Keyboard shortcut for gmake. I don't need much else.

And gdb... Yes, I usually debug my code with some well-placed cerr statements. ;-)

The truth is, I haven't taken the time to become familiar with an IDE. IDE's basically take control of your code. Before I will ever use one, I need to understand exactly what it does and when. I need to bend it to my own style and I need to feel comfortable using it.

Until now, every time I've tried using one, I've just been frustrated by the complexity, stubbornness and weight of it. (That would be Eclipse and KDevelop.)

I don't think I'd be happy with any IDE I haven't programmed myself. ;-)