PDA

View Full Version : Configure Qt

Krish_ng
26th July 2007, 07:26
I hav installed Qt on Linux with ./configure.I want to reconfigure the Qt to static.I copied the
previous installation directory to someother place and gave ./configure -static.The configuration was successful,but its taking the previous installation directory path by default.Any ideas???

marcel
26th July 2007, 07:35
configure has some options regarding destination directories.
Type ./configure --help to see a list of options.
You can configure the dest dir, or the lib, bin, etc, include dirs separately.

Regards

Krish_ng
26th July 2007, 10:16
I hav an application that runs on a 32MB machine.I had taken ./configure without options..I am building a new one with options.Can you suggest the minimal configuration of Qt that takes less memory.Thanks in advance

marcel
26th July 2007, 10:49
I don't believe there are any settings to eliminate.

Regards

Krish_ng
26th July 2007, 11:14
I think ./configure -static may take less memory.But still need to remove many options..Thanks

marcel
26th July 2007, 11:21
Static means more memory because your application will contain the entire QT library.
I think shared is better.

Regards

fullmetalcoder
26th July 2007, 11:24
Static means more memory because your application will contain the entire QT library.
I think shared is better.
not true! The resulting binaries will be bigger because they'll embed code from Qt but when linking against shared libs the whole libs are loaded into memory anyway so the static linking might actually reduce memory consumption if the linker is smart enough to wipe-out all unneeded code...

marcel
26th July 2007, 11:38
not true! The resulting binaries will be bigger because they'll embed code from Qt but when linking against shared libs the whole libs are loaded into memory anyway so the static linking might actually reduce memory consumption if the linker is smart enough to wipe-out all unneeded code...
True, but all I am saying is that there is not much a linker could take out, because, as I am sure you know, Qt components are almost all ( at least the core and gui ), very dependent of each other.

EDIT: just think if you can really take out from Qt sources just a widget, for example just the QTreeView. Well, you can't, not only the widgets, because it depends on a whole lot of other stuff.

Regards