PDA

View Full Version : How you distribute the application? Dynamic or static linking?

ufo-vl
30th July 2007, 05:22
Hello,

Interests, how you distribute the application writen in Qt?
You build them statically?
Dynamically and in package include necessary libraries?
Or in an source code also specify demanded version Qt?

The question under platforms interests: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X.

Thanks.

magland
1st August 2007, 01:10
There's an important difference between Windows and Linux: Windows always looks first for dlls in the directory of the executable, whereas Linux does not look at that directory at all (unless specifically commanded). For this reason I believe that there is never an advantage to releasing static builds for Windows (because you may as well just throw all the dlls in the bin directory). Dynamic builds, on the other hand, have several advantages. I release dynamic on Windows.

I still don't understand how to tell whether my Linux binaries will run on another person's linux box (but I would really like to know if somebody has some info regarding this)... so for now I just release source for Linux.

jacek
1st August 2007, 16:04
I still don't understand how to tell whether my Linux binaries will run on another person's linux box
The LSB standard is supposed to fix that. See: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2006/05/09/deploying-qt-applications-on-linux/