PDA

View Full Version : Popping up a dialog?

brcain
24th February 2006, 03:10
I'm still learning the role that Qt Designer plays ... IDE-light or strictly UI shell generator. There is afterall a signals/slots editor.

How do you (in Designer) popup a dialog? For example, from a menu Help->About action?

Is this sort of thing done in Designer? Or does it have to be done in code?

Thanks,
Ben

jacek
24th February 2006, 03:23
I'm still learning the role that Qt Designer plays ... IDE-light or strictly UI shell generator. There is afterall a signals/slots editor.
Designer is only a layour editor.

How do you (in Designer) popup a dialog? For example, from a menu Help->About action?
You can't do this.

Is this sort of thing done in Designer? Or does it have to be done in code?
You must write some code.

brcain
24th February 2006, 03:30
Does the signal/slot editor sort of muddy the water a bit? That editor is modeling behavior. So, it seems that there is more than just layout going on.

Not trying to be difficult ... just tried to identify/rid my misconceptions. ;)

Much Thanks,
Ben

jacek
24th February 2006, 03:43
Does the signal/slot editor sort of muddy the water a bit? That editor is modeling behavior. So, it seems that there is more than just layout going on.
You can create some typical connections using this editor or just ignore it. There is also action editor which saves you a lot of typing, but still main purpose of the Designer is to design layouts.

In Qt 3 Designer you could even edit code, but this additional functionality was more like a hack and luckily it was removed in Qt 4.

brcain
24th February 2006, 03:54
I do appreciate the desire to separate the "code" from the UI. I try to go a step further by leveraging the model-view-controller architecture. It seems to support the life-cylcle better.