PDA

View Full Version : Debhelper and QT4

December
28th August 2007, 17:01
Hello,

I am totally stuck trying to make a Ubuntu package for a very simple QT4 program, with just a single binary for now (I have a menu file and icon too, but those can wait!). I have no problem compiling and running the program on Ubuntu, but my personal Distro is Fedora, and I have no real clue on making .deb files, so I have been trying to follow tutorials on the web.

The way I would make the program is typical, so I figure these are the only steps required:

qmake-qt4
make
sudo cp ../bin/vftools /usr/bin/

Now, I've been looking though the docs on using Debhelper and reading anything I could find on making Ubuntu packages, but I am just totally stuck. The RPM was so easy compared to this! I tried so many different tutorials, but none seem to help me with a QT4 program :-(

The only thing even remotely helpful was something using cmake instead of qmake.. and I quickly got lost there too!

Does anyone have any pointers to a tutorial / sample rules file for a making a Ubuntu package for QT4 program?

Thanks in advance.

jpn
28th August 2007, 17:35
Try CheckInstall (http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/).

elcuco
28th August 2007, 18:48
Debian packages are a mess, but maybe you can have a look into what I have done in QDevelop (google for it, and you will find in the repository a directory dedicated to the debian package). Again, it's a mess.

December
29th August 2007, 03:57
I will take a look though CheckInstall, thanks.

Elcuco, I actually though of that before, and did look at your deb package, but it seems you are using cmake?

December
30th August 2007, 17:07
Thanks both of your for your help.

For now I am using CheckInstall, as I just have a single binary, and I am only making a packake so a few of my friends can help with features etc.. I will study the QDevelop RULES file in more detail when I finally get around to finishing this and making a real package.

Oh, and I use QDevelop on both Windows and OSX (KDevelop on Linux), your software rocks! Thanks loads for that.