PDA

View Full Version : fax classes in qt

dyams
7th September 2007, 04:55
Dear All,

I am using Qt 4.3.x
Recently while looking at the Qt Assistant, I find out one thing, that Qt doesnt have a class/plugin, to support "fax"ing programmatically.

how to achieve this in Qt?? I mean "faxing".... any clues?

thanks
dyams_J

wysota
7th September 2007, 07:34
Why should it have a class for faxing? Just use platform dependent solutions.

dyams
7th September 2007, 08:10
If that is the case, I would have started writing my application using proprietary IDE for the corresponding platform,
Like MFC with VC++ on Windows....
and
Cocoa or Carbon on Macinthosh
and
GTK + Glade on Linux and so on

Why would I choose to use Qt then???

wysota
7th September 2007, 08:17
MFC is not an IDE but a framework, like Qt, nor are Cocoa or GTK+, they are APIs or toolkits.

Why would I choose to use Qt then???
Why did you then? To create a faxing application? I assure you neither of the APIs mentioned by you implement faxing, so surely choosing Qt over those other mentioned APIs wasn't argumented by wanting a faxing class. Just link your Qt based application against chosen faxing library and use it in your program. You'll have to use platform dependent solutions, because there is no platform undependent solution for faxing.

You can start here: http://www.hylafax.org and also search for "libfax".

dyams
7th September 2007, 08:24
<< MFC is not an IDE but a framework, like Qt, nor are Cocoa or GTK+, they are APIs or toolkits.>>

true. You are right. I dont want to deviate from our topic here, still you are asking i would like to justify my answer,
I said, MFC with VC++ (combo, not individually)
also, GTK + GLade, i mean use gtk with glade.

<<You'll have to use platform dependent solutions, because there is no platform undependent solution for faxing.>>

Yes, thanks, This is what i am interested in knowing.

wysota
7th September 2007, 09:14
[quote]I said, MFC with VC++ (combo, not individually)

There is no such thing as VC++ (it's just a way to sell one product, VS, under four or five names, the only "C++" thing in there is the compiler - MSVC). MFC is a C++ framework over WinAPI (which is itself C). The IDE is called Visual Studio, so you probably meant that. By the way - you can use Qt with Visual Studio as well (and MFC without VS of course).

But that's way offtopic, sorry for that.