PDA

View Full Version : HaiQ - IDE for Qt4

magland
7th September 2007, 15:16
HaiQ 0.2.0 for Windows released (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825)

Handcoder’s IDE for Qt is now known as “HaiQ”, and version 0.2.0 for Windows has been released.

The software has been improved substantially, thanks in large part to feedback received from this forum, as well as the addition of a very talented Stephan Tiltz to the development effort! Please continue to provide us with bug reports, and feature requests.

The Windows version has been fully tested, and ready to use, binary out of the box. Linux version compiles cleanly, but needs some testing (download and compile the win32 source code).

Some key features:

Stability
For all downloads of HiQt and HaiQ, we have received only one report of a crash - it was fixed within a day. Providing a crash free IDE is highest priority.

Project Parsing
HaiQ is fundamentally different from other IDEs for Qt4, including Visual Studio and KDevelop (AFAIK), because it treats the project (.pro) file as source code. Users maintain this file, just as they maintain any other source file. HaiQ detects changes to the project file in real time, updating the file/class browsers and everything. Loading of .pro and .pri files is 100% accurate because it uses a modified “qmake” to do the parsing. HaiQ will never write to your files without an explicit request to do so.

Integrated documentation browser
Press F1 on a Qt keyword in your source file to bring up the corresponding help doc.
Also, generate integrated documentation for your project (uses Doxygen).

Code completion
Nothing too fancy. Reliable, accurate, and fast.
The accuracy of code completion has been improved, and an option has been added to auto-complete upon typing left parenthesis.

Code navigation
Double click a word in your source file to bring up a list of tag locations – places where that class or function was declared, defined, etc. Backward and forward buttons to navigate code.

Preferred file list
Maintain a list of preferred files for your project for convenient access.

Editor
New editor features include optional line numbers, braces/parenthesis highlighting and an assistant-style search panel.

Regarding interface to QScintilla, we decided to hold off on including this with version 0.2.0. The only feature in our QScintilla module that is not presently included in our QTextEdit-based module is code folding. While useful, we did not feel that this was worthy of requiring dependency on the QScintilla library, especially in light of some limitations we found with the QScintilla API. Eventually, QScintilla editor component will be released as an optional plugin.

Customizable new project templates
Start a new project by choosing from a collection of basic new project templates, or easily create your own template.

HaiQ S.T.U.F.F.
The priorities for HaiQ, in approximate order of importance are:
* Stability = no crashes
* Transparency = open your .pro files without fear
* Usability
* Flexibility
* Functionality

Therefore, we consider seriously before adding features. That is, we add functionality when the program is ready, and when it will not take away from the other priorities (stability, transparency, usability, flexibility). For this reason, we removed one component from the program (QObjectBrowser), but expect it to return in a future version when time is right.

I hope you enjoy the program!

sunil.thaha
10th September 2007, 10:01
Kudos to the team behind HaiQ. !! Once again great work guys

Now is the time for Bugs ;)
1. Line numbers starts from 0.
2. When there is an error in compilation, going to an error opens the same file in a new tab. After you edit the file, a message box pops up asking you to relaod, the file that was modified. Now the solution would be to see if the file is already opened, if so show that tab.

Feature Request.
1. Reposition the tab. Drag the tab and put it else where
2. Mark a tab as readonly.
3. Split window, where you can split a tab.
4. Shortcuts to move to next/previous tab ( Alt+[Left|Right] arrow )

magland
10th September 2007, 10:31
Kudos to the team behind HaiQ. !! Once again great work guys

Now is the time for Bugs ;)
1. Line numbers starts from 0.
2. When there is an error in compilation, going to an error opens the same file in a new tab. After you edit the file, a message box pops up asking you to relaod, the file that was modified. Now the solution would be to see if the file is already opened, if so show that tab.

Feature Request.
1. Reposition the tab. Drag the tab and put it else where
2. Mark a tab as readonly.
3. Split window, where you can split a tab.
4. Shortcuts to move to next/previous tab ( Alt+[Left|Right] arrow )

Thanks for your feedback, sunil.thaha. :) I assume you are running HaiQ on Linux... (we have not seen these problems on Windows).

We are aware of the offset in line numbering, and will solve that problem. I was not aware of the problem with opening two versions of same file. This must be caused by the file being represented in two different ways, e.g. "/foo/file1.cpp" and "/foo//file1.cpp" or something like that. You can confirm this by clicking on the tabs and looking at the full paths displayed on the main window title bar.

If this is indeed the case, adding the following line of code and recompiling should fix the problem:

In src/HaiQWorkspace.cpp, function: HaiQWorkspace :: open_file, add the following single line at the top:

fname=canonical_path(fname);

Incidentally, it is important not to use "QFileInfo::canonicalPath" here because of multiple thread issues. Let me know if it solves the problem.

Your feature requests have been added to the todo list. :)

sunil.thaha
10th September 2007, 11:57
Thanks for your feedback, sunil.thaha. :) I assume you are running HaiQ on Linux... (we have not seen these problems on Windows).

Well, I have a bad news :). i am indeed using HaiQ on Windows. I have downloaded the windows binary instead of the source code. Nevertheless I expect to see the same even if I have compiled the source code -right?

magland
10th September 2007, 12:42
Well, I have a bad news :). i am indeed using HaiQ on Windows. I have downloaded the windows binary instead of the source code. Nevertheless I expect to see the same even if I have compiled the source code -right?

Windows, eh? Can you do a favor and reproduce that problem with duplicate editors and look at the main window title bar as I described in previous post? If the path strings are slightly different, then it should be easy to fix. Line numbering will be fixed soon.

sunil.thaha
10th September 2007, 14:10
More Bugs:
1. The line marked as a syntax error ( red color) is not cleared even if the error is corrected :confused:

More Feature Requests
1. Automatically save files before compilation
2. Facility to open multiple files using the Open file Dialog

magland
10th September 2007, 16:35
sunil.thaha:
Pls download the updated version (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) .
The first two issues you brought up should be resoved, i.e. line numbering and opening same file twice.

More Bugs:
1. The line marked as a syntax error ( red color) is not cleared even if the error is corrected :confused:

HaiQ should clear all red markers upon compilation - let me know if this is not the case.

More Feature Requests
1. Automatically save files before compilation

HaiQ should already be doing this. :confused:

2. Facility to open multiple files using the Open file Dialog

Noted.

QTmplayer
10th September 2007, 19:10
Once again: Nice work!

There's only one thing left with the completion on left parenthesis. If this option is activated the parameter info tooltip does not show up. This works well when the option is deactivated.

Regards
QTmplayer

magland
11th September 2007, 02:46
Once again: Nice work!

Thank you, QTmplayer, I hope it's useful for you.

There's only one thing left with the completion on left parenthesis. If this option is activated the parameter info tooltip does not show up. This works well when the option is deactivated.

Thanks, I had overlooked that detail... it's a one line fix. You can either wait until the next patch or release, or you can fix it yourself, if you want to compile from source:

Add the line indicated below in src/HaiQWorkspace.cpp

if ((event.key()=='(')&&(complete_code_on_paren)) {
m_completion_window->process_key(event.key());
interface->insert_text("(");
slot_function_hint(); ///add this line /////////////////////////
return;
}

Easy fix = sign of a well-designed program ;)

magland
12th September 2007, 18:59
Next version of HaiQ has an integrated debugger (interface to gdb) and code formatting tool that uses Artistic Style (http://astyle.sourceforge.net).

But it needs testing. Who can try it out? (send email)

sunil.thaha
13th September 2007, 04:51
More Bugs.

1. Highlighting ... try
1.a. Highlighting #include <QstTest.h>
1.b. #define TEST() Class* test() { QST_MACRO_GETS_HIGHLIGHTED_WRONGLY(); blah(); }

2. Bug: Clear the syntax error indicator upon compilation, This doesnot happen all the time :-(

Feature request
1. Completion: if there is only one possible word in the completion list, why popup, instead, can't we complete it... Further, you could provide an option like the auto complete on '(' to toggle the feature on or off

magland
13th September 2007, 11:56
More Bugs.

1. Highlighting ... try
1.a. Highlighting #include <QstTest.h>
1.b. #define TEST() Class* test() { QST_MACRO_GETS_HIGHLIGHTED_WRONGLY(); blah(); }

I appeal to the community to fix these highlighting bugs... I have posted them on the web site on the contribute code (http://www.hiqt.org/contributecode.html) page.

2. Bug: Clear the syntax error indicator upon compilation, This doesnot happen all the time :-(

I cannot reproduce. Next time it happens, please see if you can reproduce it, and then send me the context in which the error occurs.

Feature request
1. Completion: if there is only one possible word in the completion list, why popup, instead, can't we complete it...

Okay, I'll add that...

Further, you could provide an option like the auto complete on '(' to toggle the feature on or off

There already is just such an option ... see Tools->Settings->Code Completion. Also, see posts with QTmplayer about an issue regarding this option.

sunil.thaha
13th September 2007, 12:03
There already is just such an option ... see Tools->Settings->Code Completion. Also, see posts with QTmplayer about an issue regarding this option.

You got me wrong, I was suggesting to add another option just like the '(' feature so that auotcompletion of the only entry in the completion list can be toggled

magland
19th September 2007, 20:17
I received a lot of very helpful feedback on version 0.3.0-preview. Thanks to all the testers!

The development version (windows and linux) is now available by svn:
https://haiq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/haiq

Keep sending bug reports and feature requests... I want to remove all the bugs and unpleasantries before release of 0.3.0.

magland
27th September 2007, 17:57
We've just released version 0.2.1 of HaiQ (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) .

No integrated debugger yet, but a number of improvements and fixes based on all kinds of suggestions. Including...

Moveable editor tabs via mouse drag
Automatic source code styling – “Artistic Style”
Various fixes for Linux
Improved main window layout – save space
Fixed problem with creating new files from templates
"view tags for current class" window is dockable
Option to turn off Doxygen and code completion
Fixed problem on windows having to do with spaces in file paths
Improved configuration dialog
Tabs marked as read only
Shortcuts to move between tabs
Fixed issue with external programs on Linux when programs are in the path
Unindent multiple lines (via shift+tab) fixed in linux
Fixed readme window in linux.
… etc ...

sunil.thaha
28th September 2007, 09:07
Great work again !!
I have switched completely from using notepad++ to HaiQ

Here are a couple of minor bugs and Feature request

Bugs:
1. Tab Coloring
Open 5 tabs,
Set focus to the 4th tab
Drag Drop, 1st tab to third
Bug: Third tab is still blue in color
Expected: the color should be balck again

Feature Requests
1. Tab, Drag drops,
a. It would be better if you can provide an indiaction to where the tab will be dropped
somewhat like this
_____________ v _______________ ____________________
/ First Tab \_/ Seccond Tab \//Special Indication\\__________________
|````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````|
b. Change the mouse pointer to indicate that the tab is dragged
2. Single Entry auto-completion.
We can still find that the listbox showsup for a small interval and then getting hidden
Before showing up you can check if there is only a single entry, if so complete it
else show the listbox
3. Support Overwrite mode in Editor
4. When the cursor is near a brace/bracket, highlight the pair
5. Bookmarks ....

magland
2nd October 2007, 05:27
Great work again !!
I have switched completely from using notepad++ to HaiQ

Thanks very much, Sunil. As always I appreciate your feedback, and I'm glad you're finding it useful :)
That tab text coloring problem has been fixed, and is already available for download: 0.2.1-1 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) . Your other suggestions have been noted.

I also would like to announce that, thanks to a great contribution of code by kernel_panic (of skin windows fame), HaiQ will shortly have designer integration :cool: So check back as I'll likely post a dev version in the coming days.

Screenshot attached.

magland
3rd October 2007, 17:17
Okay, friends, here it is.

Designer integration thanks to Markus Künkler, a.k.a. kernel_panic.

I'd like some feedback before I actually release it... so let me know how it's working.

Windows binary compiled with MinGW (http://www.math.upenn.edu/~jfm/HaiQ/HaiQ-win32-0.2.5.zip)
Windows and Linux source (http://www.math.upenn.edu/~jfm/HaiQ/HaiQ-0.2.5.zip)

magland
4th October 2007, 13:36
HaiQ 0.2.5 released (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=62825), for both windows and linux, with integrated designer!

Looking forward to feedback.

magland
12th October 2007, 15:36
We've just released HaiQ 0.2.6 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=62825). Thanks for all the feedback on earlier releases.

* Fixed bug that caused occassional crash upon saving source files.
* Fixed issue with designer integration - you may now edit properties of QAction objects
* Split the editor horizontally or vertically -- to use the second editor window, just drag and drop the appropriate tab.
* Built in wysiwyg html editor - interface to xhtmledit (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/XHTML+Wysiwyg+Qeditor?content=59493) by QtCentre user patrik08.
* Other fixes and improvements

As always, your feedback is crucial.

SamT
12th October 2007, 15:38
Thanks for your HaiQ IDE. It's great for me.
I found few bugs during first try.

QT version: 4.3.2
HaiQ version: 0.2.5-1

1. form can't be previewed.
Procedure: open Haiq with Haiq.pro -> browser a FORM like "HaiQConfiguration.ui" -> press the button "Preview form" -> HaiQ will be closed immediately

2. No selection of help item will cause program crash.
Procedure: open Haiq -> Press F1 or select the "Qt help on current word" in Help page -> do not select any item in the poped up windows but just press OK -> HaiQ will be crashed

3. Same as issue 2 but change to project help item.
Procedure: open Haiq with Haiq.pro -> Select "Project help on current word" in Help page -> don not select any item but press OK -> Haiq crashed

is there any bug tracking system for HaiQ where I can submit? :)

magland
12th October 2007, 15:56
Hi Sam,

I was not able to reproduce bug #1 on windows, but I was able to reproduce the crashes in items #2 and #3 - so those will be fixed soon. And I'll look into form preview as well. Thanks for the report.

Please download latest version (0.2.6) - and see the changes in the post from a few minutes ago.

For now send bugs via email - later we will create a bug tracker.

Thanks for your HaiQ IDE. It's great for me.
I found few bugs during first try.

QT version: 4.3.2
HaiQ version: 0.2.5-1

1. form can't be previewed.
Procedure: open Haiq with Haiq.pro -> browser a FORM like "HaiQConfiguration.ui" -> press the button "Preview form" -> HaiQ will be closed immediately

2. No selection of help item will cause program crash.
Procedure: open Haiq -> Press F1 or select the "Qt help on current word" in Help page -> do not select any item in the poped up windows but just press OK -> HaiQ will be crashed

3. Same as issue 2 but change to project help item.
Procedure: open Haiq with Haiq.pro -> Select "Project help on current word" in Help page -> don not select any item but press OK -> Haiq crashed

is there any bug tracking system for HaiQ where I can submit? :)

magland
13th October 2007, 02:17
Bugs #2 and #3 posted by SamT have been fixed, and a new release is available:HaiQ 0.2.6-1 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) .

This version also has .pro file syntax highlighting.

I'd like to get some feedback on whether this IDE truly is "crash-free" as I suspect it is now that a long-standing bug has been fixed with 0.2.6. Incidentally, the occassional random crash was caused by the notorious pitfall of using (myhash["mykey"]) instead of (myhash.contains("mykey")), thus creating some null pointers in a hash variable!

Of course there seems to be a problem with form previews, according to samT, but I cannot reproduce.

SamT
13th October 2007, 07:00
Hi magland,

Thanks for your promot reply. I find a minor issue on 0.26 as attched pic.
For the preview form, when I press the button, HaiQ terminate immediately without any crash or error information.

magland
13th October 2007, 11:51
SamT,

Thanks, I fixed that display issue with the config dialog, and released 0.2.6-3 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=62825).

I still cannot reproduce your form preview crash, so I put in a bunch of debug statements to the console for the "preview form" function. Please try it and send me the console output.

You can send this info via email: Jeremy dot Magland at gmail dot com

ChristianEhrlicher
15th October 2007, 08:53
Some notes (mostly just my personal taste):

1. I can't do an out-of-source build (maybe a qmake limitation? - I know that it won't work on windows, but should work on linux)
2. usage() in src/qmake-HaiQ/qmake/option.cpp has too many '%s'
3. there are a lot of warnings about unused variables - is this intented?
4. You're using much "/" instead of '/' which should be much faster (no conversion from const char* to needed). The same with 'return ""' instead 'return QString()'
5. sometimes your function takes 'QString foo' instead 'const QString &foo')
6. you compare QStrings to "" instead use QString::isEmpty()
7. Do you programm with msvc6 because of this:

int j;
for (j=0; j<action_list.count(); j++)

which should imho be rewritten by this

for (int j=0; j<action_list.count(); j++)

To avoid confusion :)

/edit: some more:

- The links in the about box do not work: "Der Befehl lässt sich nicht ausführen. Die Datei oder der Ordner file:///home/ehrlicher_c/tmp/HaiQ-0.2.6-3/www.trolltech.com existiert nicht."
- "make install" is not available
- Tools -> Configuration gives me those warnings: "Warning: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running."
- imho is AStyle executable named 'astyle' on linux (and not AStyle)

magland
15th October 2007, 12:03
ChristianEhrlicher,

Thanks for your tips... I think these will improve the code as well as my code style going forward. ;)

The following points have resulted in change throughout the code that will be reflected in next release (or immediately by svn):

* you compare QStrings to "" instead use QString::isEmpty()
* The same with 'return ""' instead 'return QString()'
* for (j=0; j<action_list.count(); j++) should imho be rewritten by this for (int j=0; j<action_list.count(); j++)
* sometimes your function takes 'QString foo' instead 'const QString &foo')
* imho is AStyle executable named 'astyle' on linux (and not AStyle)

* usage() in src/qmake-HaiQ/qmake/option.cpp has too many '%s'

This file was written by the Trolls themselves :)

* I can't do an out-of-source build (maybe a qmake limitation? - I know that it won't work on windows, but should work on linux)
* "make install" is not available

I will need assistance with these items, because I am unfamiliar. Perhaps somebody could take a look at the .pro file and suggest some easy changes that would enable out-of-source build and "make install". One concern is that HaiQ uses data in the "templates", "3rdparty", and "plugins" directories.

* there are a lot of warnings about unused variables - is this intented?

I don't get any such warnings with MinGW (except for the code written by the Trolls in qmake-HaiQ)

* You're using much "/" instead of '/' which should be much faster (no conversion from const char* to needed).

I think this is too minor to change throughout, but I keep it in mind for future.

- The links in the about box do not work: "Der Befehl lässt sich nicht ausführen. Die Datei oder der Ordner file:///home/ehrlicher_c/tmp/HaiQ-0.2.6-3/www.trolltech.com existiert nicht."

I've added "http://" to beginning... maybe that will help. Do the links at the bottom work (e.g. ctags)?

- Tools -> Configuration gives me those warnings: "Warning: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running."

Please ignore those particular warnings.

SamT
15th October 2007, 12:25
How can I add new files(*.c, *.H, *.ui) into project file(*.pro) automatically? Now, I need to use qmake -project to generate the file outside HaiQ?

magland
15th October 2007, 12:48
How can I add new files(*.c, *.H, *.ui) into project file(*.pro) automatically? Now, I need to use qmake -project to generate the file outside HaiQ?

The philosophy of HaiQ is for the user to directly manage the .pro file. (Although I am planning on adding some automatic capabilities in future for adding files)

Double click on the project from the project tree. This brings up the .pro file in the editor. Then type SOURCES += myfile.c, HEADERS += myfile.h, etc. Upon saving changes, everything will update automatically.

magland
18th October 2007, 23:53
HaiQ is now in version 0.2.7 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) , with a number of fixes and improvements.

I would also like to announce a new (and active) bug tracking / feature request web page...
http://code.google.com/p/haiq.

fullmetalcoder
20th October 2007, 14:49
HaiQ 0.2.5 released (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php?content=62825), for both windows and linux, with integrated designer!

Looking forward to feedback.
Just got a copy of HaiQ svn repo out of curiosity and guess what I discovered...
The so-called "contribution" is just a wee bit more than a carbon copy of my own work on designer integration... The only differences I noticed are :

no more deps to qmdilib
a handful (I'd even say less than half full... ;)) of actual changes
a brand new copyright notice that violate GPL by forgetting to mention the origin of the code...I have nothing against re-use of my code but I'd really appreciate if you could respect licenses... In every file, instead of saying that "it is part of HaiQ", you should mention that I wrote it for use in Edyuk, which makes it a derived work of Edyuk as stated in the GPL, and what modifications have been done... In my opinion such use of 3rdpart code should also be mentionned in README and such files but I'm not a lawyer so you may ignore this...

magland
20th October 2007, 16:28
Just got a copy of HaiQ svn repo out of curiosity and guess what I discovered...
The so-called "contribution" is just a wee bit more than a carbon copy of my own work on designer integration... The only differences I noticed are :

no more deps to qmdilib
a handful (I'd even say less than half full... ;)) of actual changes
a brand new copyright notice that violate GPL by forgetting to mention the origin of the code...I have nothing against re-use of my code but I'd really appreciate if you could respect licenses... In every file, instead of saying that "it is part of HaiQ", you should mention that I wrote it for use in Edyuk, which makes it a derived work of Edyuk as stated in the GPL, and what modifications have been done... In my opinion such use of 3rdpart code should also be mentionned in README and such files but I'm not a lawyer so you may ignore this...

The designer integration was given to me by a third party, and I had assumed that it was original material. If, as you say, this code was taken from Edyuk, then I apologize for not having the correct acknowledgement... and I should have been more careful before putting the copyright statement into those files. I will speak with kernel_panic, and get back to.

But I think such accusiations do not belong on the public forum, but I would have expected you to have have contacted me privately first.

kernel_panic
20th October 2007, 19:54
sorry... this was my fault...
i got some months ago the code of edyuk and saw the designer integration code.
i used it for an own projekt (a application, where the user can build dynamic GUIs, for the values, he want to have viewed) and than, 2 or 3 weeks ago, i saw haiQ, and there wasn't a designer integration. But it was i really good IDE, just that what i supposed to need. i searched on my hard drive and found my old project. than i sendet this version of the designer to magland. i didn't think about, that it was from edyuk.... sorry
it wasn't deliberateness, just a brainless action...

bremer
21st October 2007, 12:49
you are all rigth, boys ...

So, let me give you the whole view:

KernelPanic is a 17 years old guy and he asked me first about my mind concerning the integration of the designer to HaiQ.

But I didn 't give him the attention I should have and told him to introduce his idea to magland, who couldn 't know the source of the code.

So, it was my fault.

Sorry friends ... :rolleyes:

fullmetalcoder
21st October 2007, 13:03
KernelPanic is a 17 years old guy
So am I, yet I pay attention to licenses... (I must confess I learnt this about the same way a couple years ago ;)...)

sorry

Sorry friends ...
You shall not be... As I said already code-reuse is OK. Just keep in mind that licenses have to be respected or open source philosophy couldn't work...

magland
22nd October 2007, 03:27
Ok, so I've disabled the download link temporarily (since fmc first raised this issue), and will put it back up as soon as I've given the proper copyright in the source files and the proper acknowledgement in the readme.

Thanks to bremer and kernel_panic for your posts... and of course thanks to fullmetalcoder for writing the original code (and for being understanding about our mistake).

I apologize again to fmc, and will certainly be more careful in the future.

... and ...

Long live open source!

magland
23rd October 2007, 15:48
HaiQ 0.2.8 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) has been released with improved designer integration.

Here's what happened. I started looking through the designer code to determine which parts had their origin with Edyuk (per previous posts). And decided to take a different approach to the integration, wrote my own code, relying heavily on reuse of Trolltech's designer source. The result is, IMO, an improved integration, with 95-100% of the Qt Designer's functionality ported to HaiQ.

I don't know of any bugs so far. Please try it and let me know how it works.

Thanks,
JM

SamT
24th October 2007, 01:17
Hi Mangland,

Thanks! 0.2.8 works fine on preview function for me. :)

magland
25th October 2007, 15:43
HaiQ 0.2.9 (http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Handcoder%27s+IDE+for+Qt+%28HiQt%29?content=62825) has been released with some important changes, including a bug fix in designer and simplified main window.

Code completion now works for templates and the [] operator. For example, it will work in the following context:

QHash<QString,QWidget *> my_widgets;
my_widgets["main"]->

vieraci
1st November 2007, 07:52
magland,

Congratulations, I've tried nearly all the IDE's and I think this one is the best !

One thing I really like is the class browser, it's a feature IBM's Visualage C++ had and I really missed it. Fantastic !!

Only one problem at the moment, As there is no install option, I made a menu object to start it from the task bar. When started, opening the configuration panel reports qmake and assistant as not found.

If I start it from a command shell, everything shows as found (except dot and astyle which I don't know what they are) This is probably an environment path thing, I'm running debian etch, so I don't know if you can help sort this one out.

Keep up the excellent work ;)

magland
1st November 2007, 19:51
magland,

Congratulations, I've tried nearly all the IDE's and I think this one is the best !

One thing I really like is the class browser, it's a feature IBM's Visualage C++ had and I really missed it. Fantastic !!

Only one problem at the moment, As there is no install option, I made a menu object to start it from the task bar. When started, opening the configuration panel reports qmake and assistant as not found.

If I start it from a command shell, everything shows as found (except dot and astyle which I don't know what they are) This is probably an environment path thing, I'm running debian etch, so I don't know if you can help sort this one out.

Keep up the excellent work ;)

Thanks very much for your encouragement, Vieraci. I will look into the issues you point out. For now, you can try typing in the entire path to the qmake and assistant in the configuration dialog.

I have an announcement regarding HaiQ:

Besides some header file capitalization issues on Linux, which I will try to fix soon, HaiQ-0.2.9 is a functional and stable entity. I have received quite a bit of positive feedback on the program, and many users have adopted it as their Qt IDE of choice. But the program has outgrown its original design, which was only intended to satisfy a limited purpose... i.e. it's the only Qt IDE that seamlessly treats the .pro file as source code. I am satisfied that it has achieved the original objective, and now looking to the future....

The current HaiQ code base will be discontinued making way for HaiQ-1.0, which will be a plugin based system around a solid HaiQ core foundation. In the current program, Doxygen generation, astyle source formatting, help browser, and other features are built into the program. In HaiQ-1.0, these will be plugins. The core classes will be well-documented, efficient, small, using good programming practices, and lending to extensibility. I look forward to when I am ready to release this code (no date yet), and I hope to attract interest from the very top quality Qt developers when that time comes. HaiQ-0.2.9 is the prototype ... and I think it has demonstrated the feasibility of the overall philosophy, which will be maintained.

Some have asked me, why do we need yet another IDE for Qt? My answer is this... it doesn't matter how many there are... it only matters how good is the best for your particular purpose.

Others have asked what is my objective in writing this program, and releasing it to the public. The very existence of HaiQ relies on the fact that Trolltech has opened its sources for all to benefit. Therefore, there is no possibility for commercialization. If I developed this program only for myself it would not be a tenth as good as it is as a consequence of feedback from forum members, and contributions from the development team. Therefore, releasing the program is a win-win situation... as is the nature of open source. Furthermore, I have no competitors since there is no profits. This is healthy because in the end it leads to good quality code.

JM

sunil.thaha
26th November 2007, 12:57
Hi,

Any updates ... ?

magland
26th November 2007, 17:55
Hi,

Any updates ... ?

Yes, thanks for asking. We are making progress on HaiQ 1.0, as described in earlier post.

We will not release it until it is stable (and has most of the functionality as version 0.2.9). But if you would like to see the progress check out the svn:
https://haiq.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/haiq

A couple of key advances that are already reflected in svn version:
* Instantaneous startup (or close to it)
* Instantaneous code completion
* Loading of projects and other aspects in separate thread
* Practically every piece of functionality is an independent plugin

Those interested in aiding with the development can browse (or subscribe to) the development group/mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/haiq

In particular, potential developers may want to check out a brief overview of the HaiQ Plugin System (http://groups.google.com/group/haiq/web/haiq-plugin-system)

magland
9th January 2008, 02:37
Hi,
We plan to release HaiQ-1.0 Beta on the 21st of January. If you have some interest, please check out the svn (see the last post), and report any problems that should be resolved before the upcoming release. Thanks very much.
Jeremy

[Screenshot attached]

Darhuuk
10th January 2008, 08:59
I must say this looks like an incredibly nice program, I really like it so far. However, there's one thing that's kind of bugging me. I usually have lots of programs open and the fact that HaiQ has got 2 taskbar "entries" is really confusing. Is there any way to get rid of the "entry" for the command line window (the one that initializes all the plugins & starts up HaiQ)? Other than that: awesome work!

* Edit: Hell, while I'm at it, here's some more requests/bugs:
- Close current files by middle clicking on their tab (like Firefox does for example)
- Sort "File System" tab by other things than only file name (file type for example, maybe size as well?)
- There's a tiny layout bug: at the right side of every panel there's a border of around 5 pixels that shouldn't be there. Hm, looking closer, the "main" programming area has got it on both sides, although it's smaller on the left side (just right of the line numbering)
- A way to lock the toolbars
- To be able to drag a file into HaiQ & have it open automatically
- Find/replace in current selection (it's a bit a pain in the ass if you have to click replace 50 times)

Ok, that's all I could find in 5 minutes of using it :).

** Edit 2: Ok, here's another one: if you open a file associated with HaiQ from outside of it, Windows starts a 2nd HaiQ instance. Would it be possible to have only 1 instance of HaiQ open at the same time (just a simple check on startup & passing the command to the already active instance)? Oh, and also: HaiQ doesn't actually open the file. I'm guessing windows is passing it as "<HaiQPath> <filename>", but HaiQ just starts up & sits there.

Aha, and this: replacing with "" (nothing), doesn't work. Neither does replacing with " " (space).

And here's one more request (I just don't stop, do I :)): text wrapping in the output panel.

Found another bug (that or I'm stupid and doing something wrong): when you open the "Artistic Style" panel and click preview, the preview is just an empty window.

magland
10th January 2008, 11:22
Thanks, Darhuuk... I am adding your entire post to the "to do" list on the HaiQ dev group (http://groups.google.com/group/haiq) :). We should be able to take care of a number of these requests before the upcoming release.

A lot of people have complained about the console window. It won't be there in the release version, but will always be there in the development version (because I find it useful for debugging). But for the time being, you can remove it yourself using the following steps:
1. Remove CONFIG = console from haiqcore/haiqcore.pro
2. Trivially modify haiqcore/main.cpp (so the compiler thinks something has changed)
3. qmake/make to recompile

Thanks again for the feedback!

I must say this looks like an incredibly nice program, I really like it so far. However, there's one thing that's kind of bugging me. I usually have lots of programs open and the fact that HaiQ has got 2 taskbar "entries" is really confusing. Is there any way to get rid of the "entry" for the command line window (the one that initializes all the plugins & starts up HaiQ)? Other than that: awesome work!

* Edit: Hell, while I'm at it, here's some more requests/bugs:
- Close current files by middle clicking on their tab (like Firefox does for example)
- Sort "File System" tab by other things than only file name (file type for example, maybe size as well?)
- There's a tiny layout bug: at the right side of every panel there's a border of around 5 pixels that shouldn't be there. Hm, looking closer, the "main" programming area has got it on both sides, although it's smaller on the left side (just right of the line numbering)
- A way to lock the toolbars
- To be able to drag a file into HaiQ & have it open automatically
- Find/replace in current selection (it's a bit a pain in the ass if you have to click replace 50 times)

Ok, that's all I could find in 5 minutes of using it :).

** Edit 2: Ok, here's another one: if you open a file associated with HaiQ from outside of it, Windows starts a 2nd HaiQ instance. Would it be possible to have only 1 instance of HaiQ open at the same time (just a simple check on startup & passing the command to the already active instance)? Oh, and also: HaiQ doesn't actually open the file. I'm guessing windows is passing it as "<HaiQPath> <filename>", but HaiQ just starts up & sits there.

Aha, and this: replacing with "" (nothing), doesn't work. Neither does replacing with " " (space).

And here's one more request (I just don't stop, do I :)): text wrapping in the output panel.

Found another bug (that or I'm stupid and doing something wrong): when you open the "Artistic Style" panel and click preview, the preview is just an empty window.

jgvaldecasas
10th January 2008, 15:11

Hi Darhuuk, Thanks for the feedback.

Could you check this bug again? I have just tried to replace a string with nothing and blank space and i was able to do so.

Which O.S. are you using?

Darhuuk
10th January 2008, 16:21
Hi Darhuuk, Thanks for the feedback.

Could you check this bug again? I have just tried to replace a string with nothing and blank space and i was able to do so.

Which O.S. are you using?

I'm using Win XP SP2, but, hm, strange, I just tried again and now it works. There must be a bug there somewhere I guess though, 'cause it definitely didn't work this morning. I'm guessing it might have something to do with which widget has got the focus when the "Replace" button is clicked?

* Edit: Ah no, got it. It's just how the Replace works. I though it was search + replace. It's only replace. So, I got another request ;). If nothing is currently selected and you press the replace button, can you make it so that the program does a search first and if it finds something selects this. Then a 2nd press would replace the selected characters.

jgvaldecasas
10th January 2008, 16:26
Hmm... strange. I will try to mess around to reproduce the bug. I have just tried to replace with "", giving focus to the Find&Replace widget and the TextEditor widget, and both times it worked.

Sadly, it's not an easy to reproduce bug.

Could it be possible that there was no word highlighted in the editor?

*Edit: you edited while i was typing my answer. Well, it's a Replace button, but i suppose that it's possible to consider that possibility.

cheers,

Jose.

jgvaldecasas
13th January 2008, 11:15
Darhuuk,

The replace function has been changed. Now it work as you suggested :)

Darhuuk
14th January 2008, 22:34
Nice! Thanks! I've been using HaiQ for the past week and I really like it, awesome job guys!

magland
21st January 2008, 12:03
HaiQ 1.0 Beta has been released (http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/HaiQ?content=62825)!

Whether you use Linux, Windows (mingw), or Windows (msvc), we invite you to try out this ~100% plugin-based application.

Regards,
HaiQ development team (http://groups.google.com/group/haiq)