PDA

View Full Version : Generic Component Framework

prashanthudupa
1st October 2007, 17:03
Generic Component Framework (Qt Contest 2007 Award Winner)

Graphical User Interfaces have revolutionized the way people think of and interact with computers today. Young computer users may not even be aware of the old terminal based interfaces because of the simple fact that most applications today are GUI applications.

Developing good user interfaces is a challenging task. Even more challenging is the task maintaining and upgrading huge UI applications. Any developer who has been involved in writing large scale UI application software would agree with this. There are a plethora of UI Widget Libraries available in the software world today to help ease out UI application development. There are also several application frameworks that help provide structure to UI applications and hence make it easy for maintaining and upgrading them. In this page we present a component framework written by us for use in our applications.

Generic Component Framework or GCF is a custom component framework built using Qt 4.3.x. Using this framework you can compose your application as a collection of components.

GCF 1.0.573 is now available at http://vcreatelogic.com/oss/gcf/index.html.

magland
1st October 2007, 18:40
Could give a step 1,2,3 description of how to download, compile and see the first example of GCF in action? I've downloaded the source, but not exactly sure what to do.

prashanthudupa
1st October 2007, 18:58
a) Go to PaintApp/Source directory.
b) Edit local.pri and enter the full path of the PaintApp directory.
c) qmake -recursive
d) make
e) ./GCFPaintApp.

Page 32 of the manual has detailed comments on the example program. Hope this helps. :)

magland
1st October 2007, 20:11
a) Go to PaintApp/Source directory.
b) Edit local.pri and enter the full path of the PaintApp directory.
c) qmake -recursive
d) make
e) ./GCFPaintApp.

After step (d), I see the following error:

C:\dev\GCF-1.0.573\PaintApp\Source>make
cd GCF\ && mingw32-make -f Makefile
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/dev/GCF-1.0.573/PaintApp/Source/GCF'
mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug
mingw32-make[2]: Entering directory `C:/dev/GCF-1.0.573/PaintApp/Source/GCF'
g++ -c -g -Wall -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -
D-D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -DVCL_MAKE_DLL -DQT_DLL -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -D
QT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include\QtCore" -I"c:\
Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include\QtCore" -I"c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include\QtGui" -I"
c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include\QtGui" -I"c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include\QtXml" -
I"c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include\QtXml" -I"c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\include" -I"..
\..\Source" -I"c:\dev\GCF-1.0.573\PaintApp\\Source\Common" -I"..\..\Build\lib" -
I"..\..\Build\objs" -I"include" -I"..\Interfaces" -I"c:\Qt\opensource\4.3.0\incl
ude\ActiveQt" -I"..\..\Build\objs\gcf" -I"..\..\Build\objs\gcf" -I"c:\Qt\opensou
rce\4.3.0\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o ..\..\Build\objs\gcf\CComponentFactory.o source\
CComponentFactory.cpp
<command line>:4:1: macro names must be identifiers
mingw32-make[2]: *** [..\..\Build\objs\gcf\CComponentFactory.o] Error 1
mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/dev/GCF-1.0.573/PaintApp/Source/GCF'
mingw32-make[1]: *** [debug] Error 2
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/dev/GCF-1.0.573/PaintApp/Source/GCF'
mingw32-make: *** [sub-GCF-make_default-ordered] Error 2

prashanthudupa
4th October 2007, 09:59
I dont have Qt 4.3/MinGW on my computer. All of GCF was developed using the commercial edition of Qt 4.3 in my office. I will take a look at the MinGW issues this weekend and get back to you.

Gopala Krishna
4th October 2007, 13:16
Wow! You are using commercial software to develop open source software :D
No offense please.
Prashanth, your project is really awesome. I hope to learn and start using GCF soon :)