PDA

View Full Version : Saveing in .gif format

chethana
6th October 2007, 06:06
Hi All,

In my application i am takeing the snapshot of the screen and i want to save that snapshot in .gif format .. Is it possible to save in .gif format ??? as i read Qt4 support only reading of .gif images not saveing...

if any one know's the solution please reply ....

jpn
6th October 2007, 10:35
as i read Qt4 support only reading of .gif images not saveing...
That's right. By default, Qt can read these formats (http://doc.trolltech.com/latest/qimagereader.html#supportedImageFormats) and but only write these formats (http://doc.trolltech.com/latest/qimagewriter.html#supportedImageFormats).

chethana
9th October 2007, 06:05
Ok ... But can't i save in .gif format ??? shall i need to puchase licensed version software which support saveing in .gif format??

presently i am working in Qt4.2.2.

jpn
9th October 2007, 07:39
I'm afraid you'll have to look for a 3rd party library.

rajesh
9th October 2007, 08:12
By default, Qt4.3.1 can write the following formats only:
Format Description
BMP Windows Bitmap
JPG Joint Photographic Experts Group
JPEG Joint Photographic Experts Group
PNG Portable Network Graphics
PPM Portable Pixmap
TIFF Tagged Image File Format
XBM X11 Bitmap
XPM X11 Pixmap

wysota
9th October 2007, 09:27
Can't you save in PNG instead of GIF? It's better than GIF in all aspects... and it's Free.

chethana
9th October 2007, 10:26
But in my project requirement they given that it should take the snap shot of the screen and save in .gif format only....

But as i read only .gif reading support is their in Qt4.2.2 not saving... In some country patent license issue's are not permitted ... and also future version of Qt won't be having .gif support ..

I will speak regarding this with my PM

Any way Thanks for giving information ...

wysota
9th October 2007, 10:33
Please try to support PNG. GIF sucks compared to it. PNG supports full 32 bit (24bit chroma + 8bit alpha) colour space (compared to 8 bit colour space in gif), is device independent (the image should look the same regardless of the device characteristics) and has a very decent compression that is not patented.

Brandybuck
9th October 2007, 17:27
If you cannot get around your outdated requirements, then get a tiny gif to png converter, and run it under QProcess.