PDA

View Full Version : stray character in gcc output

Gopala Krishna
13th October 2007, 10:50
I am actually having this problem since many days. Whenever i compile any file, the warnings and errors surround some keywords of warning with â character.
Here is sample output(deliberately committed compile error)

mixin.cpp:33: error: request for member âappendâ in âmixin1â, which is of non-class type âintâ
mixin.cpp:34: error: request for member âappendâ in âmixin2â, which is of non-class type âintâ
mixin.cpp:35: error: request for member âfindâ in âmixin1â, which is of non-class type âintâ
mixin.cpp:36: error: âcoutâ was not declared in this scope
mixin.cpp:36: error: invalid types âint[int]â for array subscript
mixin.cpp:36: error: âendlâ was not declared in this scope
mixin.cpp:37: error: request for member âgetStampâ in âmixin1â, which is of non-class type âintâ

I really don't know how to solve this problem as i don't know where the problem exists. Googling didn't help much either. The manpage of stty also didn't lead me anywhere. Can somebody help me?

I am using kubuntu - feisty.

wysota
13th October 2007, 11:19
It looks like a font or encoding problem. Does this happen on both the text terminal (like after pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1) and graphical terminal (like Konsole)?

marcel
13th October 2007, 11:21
See the two replies on this post:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2006-10/msg00026.html

It seems to be a problem with shells that don't support unicode.

Gopala Krishna
13th October 2007, 14:55
Thanks a lot for the hint, Marcel and Wysota :)

I changed the konsole's encoding to utf-8 and it worked perfect. I also tried "export LC_ALL=C" in the text terminal (yeah, the problem was reflected here too) and it worked too :)

I never thought the solution was this simple ;)
Is the C locale supposed to be the default (whats on your system ) ?

wysota
13th October 2007, 16:17
C Locale should be considered the fallback. It's the default for non-localized environments. For me the default is pl_PL (type in "locale" to see all the locale related environment variables).

marcel
13th October 2007, 18:03
For me it will be the default :). I'm installing Linux right now.