PDA

View Full Version : BSD Systems

Brandybuck
16th October 2007, 18:41
Which BSD operating system do you use? If you don't use a BSD operating system, which one would you like to use? There are many out there, some Free and Open Source, some commercial.

This is all in good fun. :cool:

Tux-Slack
17th October 2007, 22:25
I'm runing a FreeBSD on a Virtual Machine, just to get the hang of it. And if I'll be positively surprised it's going to replace Slackware on my server or even on my laptop.
But I've heard OBSD is way better for a server.

Brandybuck
18th October 2007, 20:42
I used to use Slackware, but surprise surprise, it got slowly pushed off the computer in favor of FreeBSD.

marcel
23rd October 2007, 19:16
Ok, Wysota, maybe I'm not judging this very well (I've had a crazy day at work), but the poll says that 62.5% voted for FreeBSD, 50% for OSX and another 12.50% for OpenBSD.

I just wanted to underline that MY Linux poll is better, and it has no bugs - if you add the percentages together you get almost 100%! :)

wysota
23rd October 2007, 20:49
Based on the fact that both are multiple choice polls, 100% doesn't mean anything, does it? Here I voted for MacOS X - I don't use it, but I'd like to, I think it's a nice system :)

marcel
24th October 2007, 21:53
Based on the fact that both are multiple choice polls, 100% doesn't mean anything, does it? Here I voted for MacOS X - I don't use it, but I'd like to, I think it's a nice system :)

Do you plan to get a genuine Mac(Intel or PPC) or install a patched OSX on your x86?

wysota
25th October 2007, 23:33
I hate x86, really... Personally I think its architecture sucks (but unfortunately it's cheap). I'd like to have a real cpu like PPC, but:
1. I can't afford to buy a Mac now (basically because I can live without it)
2. I don't think they produce PowerPC based Macs anymore.

Would you like to sponsor me a MacBook? :)

marcel
26th October 2007, 08:14
1. I can't afford to buy a Mac now (basically because I can live without it)
Would you like to sponsor me a MacBook?

I can't afford one either:), that is why I installed a patched version on my computer. But if I did I would buy one. Macs are more for fun than for real work, because you can't do real work when all those shiny things distract you.

2. I don't think they produce PowerPC based Macs anymore.

Yes, I think you are right.

lyuts
28th May 2008, 16:36
I'm using FreeBSD and really like it. I do respect other BSD projects, but for me FreeBSD is the best.