PDA

View Full Version : Who has "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3" ?

theBrave
28th February 2006, 23:49
Hello,

I'm a student and I have to learn Qt for an school project so I decided to buy this book as it had very good reviews everywhere on the net.
Problem was I live in France and this book was nowhere to be found... so I tried ebay, I paid and I received my book in only a week (whereas Amazon needed 1-3 weeks to send it).

Now I have the book but the CD was lost by the seller (even if the book was new) so I didn't have the sources neither the famous "Qt 3.2 non-commercial edition" (for Windows).

I know I'm new here and I don't want to be lame but it would be wonderfull if someone could upload these parts of the CD.

Thank you very much

theBrave

GreyGeek
1st March 2006, 00:55
Hello,

I'm a student and I have to learn Qt for an school project so I decided to buy this book as it had very good reviews everywhere on the net.
Problem was I live in France and this book was nowhere to be found... so I tried ebay, I paid and I received my book in only a week (whereas Amazon needed 1-3 weeks to send it).

Now I have the book but the CD was lost by the seller (even if the book was new) so I didn't have the sources neither the famous "Qt 3.2 non-commercial edition" (for Windows).

I know I'm new here and I don't want to be lame but it would be wonderfull if someone could upload these parts of the CD.

Thank you very much

theBrave

Don't waste your time. Download the GPL version of QT4.1 and work with it, using the MinGW compiler if you are on Windows. There is an excellent ONLINE book on QT4 and C++ on OpenDocBook Wiki:
http://cartan.cas.suffolk.edu/moin/OopDocbook
"Object-Oriented Programming and Design Patterns in C++ with Qt 4"

Or, burn a SimplyMEPIS-3.4.3 iso, install it and download QT4.1 from the repository. Then you can use Kate to edit your sources and gcc to compile your code. All of it free and effective. You can install PostgreSQL 8.1 for a backend, if you need one.

wysota
1st March 2006, 08:50

Unfortunately it'd be illegal :( You could write to TrollTech and ask them for help. Maybe they'll send you the contents, it's only a couple of megabytes (24 per install).

Matt Smith
1st March 2006, 14:42

The software bundled with that book is two years old now; the Windows non-commercial edition in particular has "Non-commercial" branded on every window the library produces. I would do what the earlier poster suggested, and work with Qt 4.1 as you can use that on a genuinely Free basis. Most of what you learn for 3.x is still valid for v4; however, you will need to read the online or bundled HTML docs. In particular, the method for using Designer code has changed a lot.

theBrave
1st March 2006, 15:25
Ok, I will try to install the version with the MinGW compiler. But I don't understand something: will end-users needs to install the whole set of libraries or is the resulting .exe an real (self contained) Windows application (like it was when I installed Qt 3.3.5 on my ibook with the --static parameter) ?