I am writing an application that needs to run on Windows and Symbian devices and am having difficulty in understanding how to get the application to size the MainWindow (and contents) correctly such that the same source code can run on both devices correctly without overrunning the display(able) area. I don't want to revert to 'hard coded' sizes and was expecting the Qt layout mechanism to handle this fairly seamlessly.

I am setting the CentralWidget to a bounded min & max size to the lesser of availableGeometry or QVGA.
On Windows this is all good-and-well, however, on Symbian (emulation S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_V1.1_2) I get 'widgets' running off the right of the screen despite my attempts to get them to fit within the available space, and, there being no good reason (as far as I can see) for them to do so (i.e. to the right is empty space).

I feel that I am missing a fundamental understanding of how window geometry, layouts, sizes, and policy fit together when working cross-platform. Despite searching I can't find an answer.

Does anyone have any pointers?