Thread: QWidget on QMainWindow

Default QWidget on QMainWindow

Hii all.. I have placed my widget which contains a gridlayout with 2 pushbuttons on a mainwindow. I tried to set background color to my widget but only the children of it say the 2 buttons are changing to specified color but not the whole widget. Can anyone give me the reason.

Also I want this widget to accept all events happening to mainwindow until it is explicitly closed or click the cancel button which is on the widget. During this can i make the background of widget that is remaining part of mainwindow to some other color. No events should happen to other widgets on the mainwindow when this widget is visible on mainwindow.

I tried with QDialog with setmodal property and it block all events to mainwindow until it is closed but this dialog comes as a seperate window but not as a part of mainwindow. I want this widget as a part of mainwindow and accept all events happening to the mainwindow disabling the other widgets on the mainwindow.

Thanks
    Jay

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QWidget on QMainWindow

Quote Originally Posted by jayreddy View Post
    Hii all.. I have placed my widget which contains a gridlayout with 2 pushbuttons on a mainwindow. I tried to set background color to my widget but only the children of it say the 2 buttons are changing to specified color but not the whole widget. Can anyone give me the reason.
    Can we see the code?

Also I want this widget to accept all events happening to mainwindow until it is explicitly closed or click the cancel button which is on the widget. During this can i make the background of widget that is remaining part of mainwindow to some other color. No events should happen to other widgets on the mainwindow when this widget is visible on mainwindow.
    You can install an event filter to intercept events although it seems to me you should just make your widget a dialog modal to the main window.

I tried with QDialog with setmodal property and it block all events to mainwindow until it is closed but this dialog comes as a seperate window but not as a part of mainwindow. I want this widget as a part of mainwindow and accept all events happening to the mainwindow disabling the other widgets on the mainwindow.
    Forcing the widget to be part of the main window is somewhat... strange. Why do you need that?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt Code:
    1. dialog::dialog(QWidget* parent): QWidget(parent)
    2. {
    4. dialog= this;
    5. win= new QWidget(dialog);
    6. this->setGeometry(0, 0, 400, 100);
    7. win->setGeometry(0, 0, this->width(), this->height());
    8. grid= new QGridLayout;
    9. label= new QLabel("File gets deleted permanently.\n Do you wish to continue");
    10. label->setText("<font color=#000000>"+label->text()+"</font>" );
    11. button1= new QPushButton("OK");
    12. button2= new QPushButton("CANCEL");
    13. grid->addWidget(label, 0, 0, Qt::AlignCenter);
    14. grid->addWidget(button1, 1, 0, Qt::AlignLeft);
    15. grid->addWidget(button2, 1, 1, Qt::AlignRight);
    16. win->setLayout(grid);
    17. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

this is how I created my widget and I placed this on main application i.e mainwindow

Qt Code:
    1. dilogbox= new dialog(QApplication::activeWindow());

I tried this to install all events of mainwindow onto dialogbox but it didn't work

Qt Code:
    1. QApplication::activeWindow()->installEventFilter(dilogbox);

I need this as a part of mainwindow because I dont want a seperate window for dialogbox
    Can I know how to proceed
    Last edited by wysota; 5th January 2010 at 11:21. Reason: Missing [code] tags

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

And where do you set the background color?

Your widget is really a good candidate for a dialog... You can remove its decorations by passing an appropriate hint to the window manager to make it look more like it was embedded into the parent window.

How does your eventFilter() implementation look like?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

I have made an empty widget that is of my application size placing on my application as a child and in that empty widget I have placed my dialog widget(now my dialog widget is win) in the center and made the widget transparent so that I can block events to background application.

Qt Code:
    1. dilog->resize(QApplication::activeWindow()->width(), QApplication::activeWindow()->height());

Now I tried to paint my background application with black color. Initially it was fine but when application is resized then it is not painting the latest resized part of my application although my empty widget is being increased with my application size.
    Qt Code:
    1. void dialog:: paintEvent(QPaintEvent* event)
    2. {
    3. QPainter painter(this);
    4. QRect rect(0, 0, this->parentWidget()->width(), this->parentWidget()->height());
    5. painter.drawRect(rect);
    6. QColor color(Qt::black);
    7. color.setAlpha(100);
    8. painter.fillRect(rect, color);
    9. }
    12. bool dialog::eventFilter(QObject* obj, QEvent* event)
    13. {
    15. if (event->type() == QEvent::Resize)
    16. {
    17. QResizeEvent *resize= static_cast<QResizeEvent*> (event);
    18. this->resize(resize->size());
    19. win->move(dialog->width()/2-win->width()/2, dialog->height()/2-win->height()/2);
    20. this->repaint();
    21. }
    22. if (event->type() == QEvent::Paint)
    24. return false;
    26. return true;
    27. }
    May be this is due to my paintevent hasn't able to fetch the latest application size . How can I get my application size for every resize event so that I can paint the background