Thread: Please help: Can't debug 32-bit apps on Windows 7 x64 w/ Qt Creator

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Please help: Can't debug 32-bit apps on Windows 7 x64 w/ Qt Creator

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to Qt.

I'm running Windows 7 x64. I have Visual Studio 2010 installed and also Windows SDK v7.1. I've installed Debugging Tools for x86 and x64.

To install Qt, I downloaded the source for 4.7.1 and compiled for x86 and x64. I am using Qt Creator 2.1 RC.

I can switch between compiling 32-bit and 64-bit by switching between my Qt 4.7.1 folders. This works great.

I'm not expecting to be able to debug 64-bit apps with the 32-bit Qt Creator, but I think I should be able to debug 32-bit apps.

When I try to debug, everything looks right, but my breakpoints don't get hit. I can put my breakpoint at the first line of code in my main function and nothing -- it flies right by.

I tried setting the option to automatically break on exceptions and then put a throw in my code. This breaks, however, it doesn't break in my code; it breaks in the thread window.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Please help: Can't debug 32-bit apps on Windows 7 x64 w/ Qt Creator

Wow, nothing? Am I SOL?

I think the issue might be missing debug information. Does anyone know how I can resolve that? Thanks.
    Last edited by sshtac; 22nd February 2011 at 17:05.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

my scenario is quite similar, but simpler, just qt-creator 2.01 and qt4.7.1 with vs2008 under win7/64-bit. Only downloaded the 2 qt windows binaries, and installed the x86 Debugging Tools besides the official 64 bit version of it, took me a bit to figure out that one Qt-creator found and recognized the appropriate 32-bit cdb, and building the debugger helper also worked. And also no problem in debugging the compiled qt apps, with breakpoints, of course only 32-bit. Maybe at least worth giving it a try..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi all...

For those interested. I finally got debugging working. I installed Qt Creator 2.2 Beta (released today) and viola, debugging works! Wonderful. Thanks to all those that made it possible.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I have the same problem, can you tell me what viola is?

did you mean "et voilà !" ?
    Last edited by qtmude; 25th March 2011 at 12:34.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi,

Yes, I meant "et voilà !"... sorry for the confusion. Try installing the latest build of Qt Creator 2.2 Beta: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/prereleases

After installing, VS 2010 wouldn't compile C++/CLI projects correctly -- errors about trying to compile x86 using x64 platform.

A simple reboot fixed that.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by sshtac View Post
    Hi,

Yes, I meant "et voilà !"... sorry for the confusion. Try installing the latest build of Qt Creator 2.2 Beta: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/prereleases

After installing, VS 2010 wouldn't compile C++/CLI projects correctly -- errors about trying to compile x86 using x64 platform.

A simple reboot fixed that.
    my problem is that: I can compile on debug and x86 the program but I can't run it

in release it works correctly.

this is the error i get:

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors
    I'll try to reboot

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Sounds like a dependency issue. Have you used Dependency Walker?

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Here's a similar problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...am-debug-build

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by sshtac View Post
    Sounds like a dependency issue. Have you used Dependency Walker?

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Here's a similar problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...am-debug-build
    thanks, but I don't know what to do. what I'm supposed to see?

from the linker I can see that there is a .lib shared by release and debug.

Depedency walker says that there are missing dlls, but when i add them it find other missing dlls WTF