Thread: Using *.rcc files as Themes

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Using *.rcc files as Themes

Are there any reasons against using external QResource files for theming an application?
    I have written a small test application and it seems to work fine. The resource binaries also seem to be platform-independent, as I can load resources built under linux on my windows partition without any problems. So are there any reasons why one should not use compiled QResources as a theme bundle (containing css files and icons)?

Thanx in advance

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Using *.rcc files as Themes

Quote Originally Posted by momesana View Post
    Are there any reasons against using external QResource files for theming an application?
    I have written a small test application and it seems to work fine. The resource binaries also seem to be platform-independent, as I can load resources built under linux on my windows partition without any problems. So are there any reasons why one should not use compiled QResources as a theme bundle (containing css files and icons)?

Thanx in advance
    Probably different processors encodes binaries in different format. So, It can't be used. You are using the .rcc in a same device, so that there is no problem of decoding or extracting the data.
    Anurag Shukla
    A man who never makes mistake is the man who never does anything! Theodre Rosvelt!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

Unhappy Re: Using *.rcc files as Themes

Quote Originally Posted by ashukla View Post
    Probably different processors encodes binaries in different format. So, It can't be used. You are using the .rcc in a same device, so that there is no problem of decoding or extracting the data.
    too bad . It would have been a really simple and effective way to distribute themes without the hassle of tinkering around with zip files etc.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by momesana View Post
    too bad . It would have been a really simple and effective way to distribute themes without the hassle of tinkering around with zip files etc.
    My means is here the representation of Integers & Characters are differ in different processors. Have you checked with different processors?
    Last edited by ashukla; 21st January 2008 at 10:12. Reason: mispelling
    Anurag Shukla
    A man who never makes mistake is the man who never does anything! Theodre Rosvelt!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

No, unfortunately I haven't checked it with different processors yet. Actually I have only my laptop here at my disposal and my desktop-pc is about 5000 km away from here and this will stay this way for a few further weeks. It would be nice if someone could test this or tell me/us if the incompatibility is indeed the case amongs different architectures.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I tried just now on my machines: An intel core 2 duo equipped with win vista x64, using Qt-4.3.3 compiled with MSVC 2008 express (x86), and an UltraSparc5, using linux (but userland 32bit), using Qt-4.3.3 compiled with gcc-4.1.2.
    A .rcc file created on linux that contains a txt file and a png image works flawlessy on windows. I managed to load .rcc, and display text and image.
    A .rcc file created on windows that contains an utf8 txt file works on linux. I guess should work also with not unicode txt files, but I didn't get to display non ascii characters that way.
    I can't show images on sparc, because I got no X server on it.

It looks like that .rcc files are platform independent (at least when contains unicode text).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms

Sounds great! I will write some simple theme-manager based on .rcc files for testing purposes then to see if any other issues show up.
    Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

rcc embeds files into the code. As long as the files are portable, then there should be no problem.

9. The following user says thank you to Brandybuck for this useful post:

momesana (31st January 2008)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Yes! The problem which I am discussed earlier. You must create a unicode mechanism for representation of character as well as for image to store as binaries. Thanks Qt! which has consider the problem & given its solution. But we have to make a bit more attention when saving a file or opening a file on different platform.
    Anurag Shukla