Thread: A reliable way to get the size of a checkbox indicator

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Question A reliable way to get the size of a checkbox indicator

Hi,

A little introduction to the problem: I'm using a QTreeView where one of the columns is editable and the data is presented as checkboxes which, on the one hand, should look like the native checkboxes of the particular OS, and, on the other, should be centered in the tree column. For this, I'm using a CheckBoxDelegate class, derived from QItemDelegate.

To center the checkbox, I can either use the static QRect::alignedRect() or calculate the appropriate rectangle myself. In both cases however, a prerequisite is to know how big actually the checkbox is.

Initially I thought that calling the QStyle::pixelMetric() function with QStyle::PM_IndicatorWidth and QStyle::PM_IndicatorHeight would give me the size of a normal checkbox. The problem is that on Linux, this function returns a width that is too narrow and the checkbox's right border is not visible, while the same code on Windows produces a perfect checkbox. I certainly don't like the thought of adding some magic number of extra pixels to the indicator width returned by pixelMetric.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions.
    Last edited by jpn; 15th February 2008 at 20:56. Reason: disabled smilies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: A reliable way to get the size of a checkbox indicator

Perhaps you could use built-in checkable items and get them center aligned by using a [WIKI]proxy style[/WIKI] and reimplementing QStyle::subElementRect(SE_ViewItemCheckIndicator)?
    J-P Nurmi