Thread: tips before building a Qt app

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Lightbulb tips before building a Qt app

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Qt world. So I've never written a complete qt app, just examples.

I've been writting C-based embedded-projects for 3 years and I'm in the mind-switching process, as well as learning about Qt and c++ .

The learning-by-examples stage is about to end. Soon I'll be facing the facts, I mean, designing and coding a true Qt app . I know, the first time you do something (whatever ), you know it is just a draft, but I want it to be a cute one . I'll be glad to get some tips from you, before starting to design my app. I'm not talking about UI design tips, just the "internals" (in short... the code), things that I should do and things that I shouldn't.

Many thanx.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: tips before building a Qt app

What platform will you be developing on? This will relate to the kind of dev tools are/will be you using?

What kind of apps will you be writing? Graphical, db front ends, all of the above ???

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Mhh, apps similar to mobile ones. Running on linux, rich graphical content, external communication with other modules. So I'll probably be using QtNetwork, QtSql, QtXml, QtOpenGL (as well as QtCore and QtGui, of course).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

If you come from C and have just started C++, I assume you're also new to object oriented programming in general.

If you've mastered the basics (creating classes, objects, etc.), I suggest you learn about design patterns. There are sources on the internet, but the best source would be the book Design Patterns [Gang of Four].

This will teach you to program and think in an object-oriented way. Sure, it's not about Qt specifically, but I think it is important. Some design patterns are in fact part of the Qt library and learning about them will help you better understand the way Qt works.
    "The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to wage wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I totally agree, I've been reading Head First Design Patterns and books about OOP, and I've tried to apply the concepts to my C progs, classes (methods using function pointers), inheritance, and so on. It works well, but the code syntax looks a bit messy .
    But in this project I'm really excited because I can use c++ & Qt .
    So it will be helpful to have tips, things to have in mind before starting to write a Qt app.