Thread: Severe GraphicsView Scrolling Performance Regression in 4.4

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Severe GraphicsView Scrolling Performance Regression in 4.4

Hi everyone..

I've got a view/scene with some simple items, where the scene is of a fixed size and the view has scrollbars.

I'm just investigating moving to 4.4, but when I build my application against it, scrolling the view becomes extremely slow. Even with no items on the scene at all, scrolling saturates the CPU and is very choppy. The exact same application built against 4.3.4 is silky smooth.

I have a background being drawn (very simple white rectangle with a border the size of the scenerect), but I've enabled background caching, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Both builds of Qt (4.4 and 4.3.4) are built with the exact same configure flags (-static and -release, as well as a few other flags for including/excluding modules I need).

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas where to start investigating?

Update: I've since tried this on another computer with the same results. And this is Windows.
    Last edited by pherthyl; 20th May 2008 at 17:49.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Severe GraphicsView Scrolling Performance Regression in 4.4

Yikes! Can you please post a compilable example that shows this slow-down? You should also consider posting this directly to http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker .
    Bitto / Andreas Aardal Hanssen - andreas dot aardal dot hanssen at nokia
    Nokia Software Manager, Qt Development

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok. I'll work on trying to make a small example and narrowing it down a bit more. It seems to be a Windows issue. I can't reproduce it on Linux.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok, I found the problem. Setting setCacheMode(QGraphicsView::CacheBackground); on the graphicsview causes severely degraded scrolling performance in Qt 4.3. If I disable that flag, scrolling (by dragging the scrollbars) still mostly saturates the CPU, but at least it's smooth. Will post the issue to trolltech.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Minimum compilable example attached. It makes sense that caching would slow down scrolling (since I assume it has to recreate the cache) but I never had a problem with it on 4.3.4
    Attached Files Attached Files