Thread: QT IDE and Debugger

Thanks

Default QT IDE and Debugger

This is my last-ditch effort getting up and running with QT.

I want a setup like Visual Studio. That is, code completing IDE with integrated debugging (step-through functionality) and widget support. Eclipse with QT integration would probably come close to delivering this - if I could get it working. I need these things. I am not one of those mega-awesome coders who can code GUI programs (without using something like QT Designer) and who debugs at the command line.

If anyone can assist, that would be great.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QT IDE and Debugger

There are a number of alternatives :

The last two do not support Qt out of the box so try the first three before and if none really suits your needs you can always have a look at them in last resort.

Note : You could have found the first three just by having a look at the Qt Software section...

Note : I know it will look like I'm advertising but a wide number of people who tried it agree with me : Edyuk's completion is by far the best in term of speed and accuracy. It also has the slight advantage of NOT requiring ctags t o be installed.
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Thanks

I have tried all of those except MonkeyStudio.

Edyuk gave me nothing but error messages on startup. After having spent hours and hours over the last week trying to get these things to work, I probably gave up on Edyuk too quickly. But it would have been nice if it 'just worked'.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Have you tried the last version?

By the way, which system are you using? I've tested it on both Vista and Linux and I don't have any problem (there is a binary installer for Win32/Qt 4.4 available) compiling or running and it has been reported to work well under Mac as well.

If it crashed on start with a version prior to 1.0.0 (including the beta and rc) it may have been because of missing translations and this has been fixed.

Thanks

I am running XP.

I tried the version at this page

The error message is:

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Damn... I've never ever seen such an error...
    Which version of Qt are you using? The windows build of Edyuk 1.0.0 has been built using latest MinGW (3.4.5 if I remember well) and Qt 4.4.0 open source edition. If your system use a different version of either of these you'd better build Edyuk from sources I'm afraid...

Thanks

I've got QT 4.3.3 and the latest MinGW. Looks like I need to compile from source. A job for tomorrow.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I had trouble figuring out how I should set up Qt, and I found that this tutorial really helped.

www.telldus.se/qt/tutorial.pdf

It's not perfect, but it got me up and running on two difference XP computers. It is meant to be used with Visual Studio Express. The hardest part was finding the right version of Visual studio to download, but if you look hard enough, it should be there.

Thanks

I regret to say that the QT 'barrier to entry' is just a bit too high for me. I wish I had more time to spend on it, because it looks like a cool set of libraries.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

This is normal
    you need to add the C:qt/bin/ path to the PATH so it can find the associated files.
    this can be adjusted in the ENviroment variable of your computer

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalcoder View Post
    Damn... I've never ever seen such an error...
    I have seen this error very often, also with Edyuk.

It always happens if the Application does not ship its own Qt Dlls. Which is a must, since the System Path my contain paths to various other Qt Applications which are also Qt based and deliver their own dlls. In my case it was Miktex and Matlab. I such a case the application tries to use the dll of such other application and fails because of wrong links.

From all these IDEs Qdevelop was the only one working directly simply because it shippes with
    its own dlls.

Matthias

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ah yes... It did not even occur to me that someone trying to install a Qt IDE would not have installed Qt first and adjusted its environment variables... Maybe I become too geeky over the last few years to remember what newbies expect...

The big problem of bundling Qt dlls with Edyuk is that Edyuk relies on QLibraryInfo to get some informations (such as default qmake path, headers location to build completion db, ...) and bundling libs would probably lead to Edyuk being fed with wrong informatins which would affect the user experience way worse than having to setp up a proper Qt environment in the first place...

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ah yes... It did not even occur to me that someone trying to install a Qt IDE would not have installed Qt first and adjusted its environment variables... Maybe I become too geeky over the last few years to remember what newbies expect...
    Installing Qt first does not help.
    If the System Path includes the Path to Qt and other Qt-Dll containing Directories, it is only a matter of luck if it works or not. And deleting other apps from the PATH is no solution. Nobody wants to break apps because of a new one.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

No sensible packager invades system directory with bundled dll's (unless the package is made for those dll's)... They should be put in local folders where the app may find them.

In the case discussed here, installing Qt PROPERLY first would have helped has the error clearly shows that the executable failed to find Qt. (by properly I mean setting pathes and choosing the correct version).

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

No sensible packager invades system directory with bundled dll's (unless the package is made for those dll's)... They should be put in local folders where the app may find them.
    That does not help if Applications that are widely used, like Miktex and Matlab (probably every Phd Student of Physics in my university has both if they use Windows), installl dlls in there application folder and add this folder to PATH.

In the case discussed here, installing Qt PROPERLY first would have helped has the error clearly shows that the executable failed to find Qt. (by properly I mean setting pathes and choosing the correct version).
    With such an error message AND multiple dlls on the system and within PATH, how should one know what the error is causing and how can I install Qt and not have such problems? This is unclear to me.
    Last edited by pospiech; 25th July 2008 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

That does not help if Applications that are widely used, like Miktex and Matlab (probably every Phd Student of Physics in my university has both if they use Windows), installl dlls in there application folder and add this folder to PATH.
    well then THEY are responsible for screwing things up... If you bundle everything into a single folder don't add it to the path... It is not up to a program to deal with borked setups, at least that's my opinion and I'm not gonna waste weeks to get things to work on every possible dll mess windows allows to exist.

I'm afraid I ain't got any simple solution to offer apart from building the app from source and, if required, coying the right dlls into Edyuk's installation folder.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I'm afraid I ain't got any simple solution to offer apart from building the app from source and, if required, coying the right dlls into Edyuk's installation folder.
    I agree with you. But, and I say this not in the intention to offend you, other editors like qdevelop ship with dlls in their app folder and do not deal with such problems.