Thread: how to get qmake to stop adding version numbers to my target DLL filename

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default how to get qmake to stop adding version numbers to my target DLL filename

When making a DLL, qmake seems to take the major number of the VERSION parameter and add it to the TARGET name, so that what starts as:

TARGET = mytarget
    VERSION = 1.0.0

becomes

mytarget1.dll

How can I disable this behavior, but still keep the file version feature? If I remove the version parameter, the file naming problem goes away, but so do the file versions.

Colby

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: how to get qmake to stop adding version numbers to my target DLL filename

Yeah I had this problem to. The only way I found out was to switch to cmake.
    Qt-4.7.3 | Gentoo ~amd64 | KDE-4.7
    Aki IRC Client for KDE4 | Qt Documentation

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: how to get qmake to stop adding version numbers to my target DLL filename

Remove the VERSION variable and store the version in the library using regular means (there is a call in WinAPI to do that).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for the replies. Like I mentioned before, if I remove the VERSION parameter, the problem goes away, but I lose the version number which can be seen in the file properties. This numbering is not part of any WinAPI - it's just static metadata in the file.

I did notice the following two parameters in the docs which sounded promising, but setting them didn't seem to change the results. I wonder - is the lib template for qmake hard-coded, or is it defined in a file somewhere?

TARGET_x
    This variable specifies the target's extension with a major version number. The value of this variable is typically handled by qmake or qmake.conf and rarely needs to be modified.

TARGET_x.y.z
    This variable specifies the target's extension with version number. The value of this variable is typically handled by qmake or qmake.conf and rarely needs to be modified.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by cboles View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Like I mentioned before, if I remove the VERSION parameter, the problem goes away, but I lose the version number which can be seen in the file properties. This numbering is not part of any WinAPI - it's just static metadata in the file.
    Bla bla bla

Add this to any of your implementation files:
    Qt Code:
    1. EXPORT_SIGNATURE(1,0,0,0)
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

where:
    Qt Code:
    1. #define EXPORT_SIGNATURE(a,b,c,d) \
    2. int __getSignature__() \
    3. {\
    4. return (a << 24 | b << 16 | c << 8 | d);\
    5. }

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Adding the code above didn't seem to do anything for the file version info when I right-click the properties of my DLL. I would be really surprised if Windows would execute a function such as getSignature in the DLL to get the file version info - that would be a great way to execute malicious code. I can't seem to find anything regarding getSignature on the web either.

add this to your .pro file:

Qt Code:
    1. TARGET_EXT = .dll

http://qt-project.org/faq/answer/how...my_application

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

You can install the version information resources, the stuff you see in Windows Explorer, along with your program icon etc. using a standard Windows RC file VERSIONINFO

There are even examples in these forums: http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/47693