Thread: Dragging to windows (pyqt)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Dragging to windows (pyqt)

I am trying to figure out how to drag items to another windows application. In particular in this case I want to be able to drag items into a winamp playlist.

For all of this I am using pyqt4.

To start out with I am using a QDirModel with a QColumnView widget. I have dragging enabled and when I attempt to drag a file the mimeData given for the drag is "text/uri-list" (the default). While explorer can handle this drag, when I try to drag the item into winamp the url shows up in the playlist but it can't do anything with it (it doesn't seem to recognize it as a file).

How can I get this to work?

It would seem to me that QWindowsMime might be what I want in order to get a native windows object for the drag, but that does not exist (at least as far as I can see) in pyqt4.

Is there some other mime type that I can add to drag (by reimplementing mimeData in my QDirModel) that would make winamp understand the drag?

Another question that is related is that when I drag a file into Qt from windows there is a mime type 'application/x-qt-windows-mime;value="FileName"' in the mimeData object. Does this mime type have any meaning when dragging out of Qt?

Thanks far any help on this, I am new to pyqt (and windows programming in general) and I am not able to find much help on this stuff on the web.

- amicitas

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Dragging to windows (pyqt)

I was unable to find any solution for this using PyQt.
    So what I did was write a class that does native NT dragging using windows OLE / COM. This was done using pywin32. The documentation for that stuff is pretty scarce (and I still haven't figured out how to find out if the drag was successful).

I got a bunch of help from the pywin32 mailing list to do this (a big thank you to them).

To get this into my Qt program I reimplemented "startDrag()". It checks os.name for 'nt' and if it finds it calls my NtDrag class, otherwise it uses the normal qt dragging.

I don't know if this is the best way to do things, but it does what I need for now.

If anyone has suggestions on how to do this better let me know.

I posted the dragging code to that mailing list. Rather than copy it here I will link in case I get anymore help from there.

[python-win32] Drag and drop of files (CF_HDROP)

-- amicitas