Thread: msvc++ 2008 express and msvc++ 2005 express

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default msvc++ 2008 express and msvc++ 2005 express

(open source/dynamic/4.4.3)

i have msvc++ 2008 Express on my computer... it's not working for me, as explained on my other thread (in a nutshell: end-users must have admin privileges to run a Qt application built with 2008 express)

I cannot find instructions on the web for removing msvc++ 2008 Express. Is this necessary before installing msvc++ 2005 Express or MSVisual Studio 2005?

With MSVisual Studio 2005 (non-express): can one build deployable Qt applications such that end-users don't have to have administrator priviledges to run them? Can they be compiled from the Command Prompt? ...or only the GUI?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: msvc++ 2008 express and msvc++ 2005 express

You do not have to uninstall 2008 express. You should be able to install 2005 express side-by-side.

How is it not working? I have built Qt apps with 2008 express and 2008 pro Visual Studio, as well as 2005 versions. I have not encountered your problem.

Once you've set everything up correctly you can build Qt apps just like msvc apps. You can do this with the open source Qt, but you need to understand how to set up the Visual Studio environment. Takes a bit of time when you initially set up a project. After that smooth sailing!

If you want a quick and simple IDE for Qt, try QDevelop or the tech preview of Qt Creator. I think Qt Creator looks promising, just Google for them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by hax View Post
    You do not have to uninstall 2008 express. You should be able to install 2005 express side-by-side.

How is it not working? I have built Qt apps with 2008 express and 2008 pro Visual Studio, as well as 2005 versions. I have not encountered your problem.

Once you've set everything up correctly you can build Qt apps just like msvc apps. You can do this with the open source Qt, but you need to understand how to set up the Visual Studio environment. Takes a bit of time when you initially set up a project. After that smooth sailing!

If you want a quick and simple IDE for Qt, try QDevelop or the tech preview of Qt Creator. I think Qt Creator looks promising, just Google for them.

Thanks hax, yeah, I went ahead and installed 2005 Express (in addition to 2008). Problem still remained, however, and I should have been a bit more clear about it:

(in a nutshell: end-users must have admin privileges to run a deployed Qt application built with 2008 express)
    that's been my problem: to run a deployed app, users must first run vcredist*.exe. This isn't an option for many of my end-users, as it requires administrator privileges.

After beating myself up over this for a week and a half, I finally just did a clean install of winXP--deleting everything (incl. 2005 and 2008 express)--and am starting over with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (the non-express version). I think this will fix my problem.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Dude, just put the MS runtime dlls in the programs dir and distribute your software with them. No real need to install any packages. I shipped software to fresh installed windows machines without .Net platforms installed and it worked out of box. OR configure everything to be static but expect really big executable which is just a waste of bandwith when you do regular updates to the exe.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

When using MSVC 2008 you need to include the following files in the same folder as your exe:

Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
    msvcm90.dll
    msvcp90.dll
    msvcr90.dll

Then distribute your app with an installer. I suggest Inno Setup (http://www.innosetup.com/isinfo.php) which is fairly easy to learn to/and use.

You should be good now.