Thread: Qt in Ubuntu

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Qt in Ubuntu

Hi, this is just some general observation.

I have been using Kubuntu distros for my Qt programming for some time. When i installed Kubuntu 8.10, I went into shock. "Enhancements to the point of non-usability" with KDE 4.

So It was time to try "Ubuntu 8.10". I was pleasantly surprised by its simplicity and usability, but I had many problems installing Qt.

I am using Qt-4.4.1 now with QDevelop, but I can not get designer to compile yet. and I havn't tried KDevelop.

I was wondering how many others, if any, are using "Ubuntu" for Qt and how they installed it and what luck they are having.

Also their reaction to "Kubuntu 8.10" and what Trolltech's reaction is.

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt in Ubuntu

At the moment, I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 with Qt 4.4.0 from the backports. I tried to update to 8.10, but it totally screwed up my machine (meaning, it didn't even boot because the kernel failed to recognize any of my hard drives...) Admittedly, my machine is 8 years old, but that shouldn't be a hurdle for a linux distribution, or do you think?

I, too, was shocked that the recent Kubuntu was focused on KDE4 solely. But, well, if noone is brave enough to support new technology, it would never become mainstream technology. The problem is, KDE4.1 still isn't ready for end users. I'm still hoping for 4.2...

At the moment, I'm working on a program that should have used KDE4, but as it is not ready yet I am confined to Qt4 at the moment... Anyway, for users there is an unofficial repository providing KDE3 for Kubuntu 8.10, so this wouldn't have been a great issue for me, if only the kernel had worked...

All in all, I think Kubuntu is a great distribution, and it doesn't impose any more problems than any standard Debian does (think of "qmake" vs "qmake-qt4") and how this affects any credulous Qt project.

Personally, I use KDevelop for creating Qt applications, just because I am used to it, but the Eclipse Integrations seems to be right on par with it, though there seems to be quite a difference in handling the UI code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Hi, I've used Kubuntu and Qt for a long time. but when Kubuntu 8.10 came along with KDE 4, I decided to go back and try Ubuntu again.
    I use a 2 HD drives on my box, so I installed 8.10, but I think a "live" installation might do the job.

The first evening, all I did was just play around with the default installation. Click here, see what comes up, click there . It automatically setup and installed my printer. Told me that a wireless internet was available. I clicked on the icon it told me top. Lo and behold there were 3 I could chose from, mine or either of my two neighbours. i clicked on mine, now I had wireless internet that I could not get before.

It automatically mounted all my flash drives and the other HD drive. ready for use.

I then installed "Evolution" (be careful, follow the instructions exactly). Imported my contact list from the other drive (required exporting kmail contacts to vCard them Importing to Evolution contacts.).

I then tried to install Qt-4.4.1 the old fashion way with out success. many missing files etc.
    I posted my problem in this forum and got the help I needed to program in Qt-4.4.1. I use QDevelop which works fine (not up to KDevelop though). I decided to let well enough alone and not try to load it.

If you go to the "Qt Centre" forum and search for "Ubustu 8.10 and Qt-4x". that is where I
    got the help.(Thanks) (Note the "s" in Ubustu was my mistake in naming the post).

I wonder if anybody else has had our reaction to KDE 4.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

There are some long-standing (minor) issues I have with Kubuntu, but I won't switch to Ubuntu just because it might solve some of these. I'd rather switch to another KDE-centric distribution, as this is my main point of concern. I just don't like Gnome, from the user's as well as the developer's point of view (and being able to develop an application that scratches an itch I have is important to me ). I take a look at it now and then, but it just doesn't fit my needs. I switched to Kubuntu because of it's ease of use, even if it is not as polished as Ubuntu. But other distributions have taken up, and if the next Kubuntu release still doesn't boot here, I might as well return to Debian, which I used in the days of yore (Woody), or even take a closer look at OpenSuse again. At least they seem to have a working KDE4 desktop.

Well, apart from that nagging: I'm still using Kubuntu (like I said: 8.04 out of necessity), which also provides a fairly recent Qt (via backports) and I'm quite happy with it. And there are few things that I don't like about KDE4 (i.e. lack of panels-wherever-you-want-them, or that ugly new menu (and the ugly, featureless trying to provide the old menu)), but I'm pretty confident that these will be taken care of. And as soon as that happens, I can start porting my applications to KDE4.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Very well said and I agree with you for the most part including your feeling toward Gnome. Fortunately I did not have any trouble installing kubuntu 8.10, Qt-4.4.1 or Kdevelop..

I also used debian (woody) and fedora up to 4, when it couldn't find my printer. (I also prefer deb to rpm).

But when ubuntu 8.10 found my wireless browser and allowed me to turn it on with a click, It kind of turned me on.

I am an engineer and I look on my computer, the way I look at a pencil sharpener. I got in to programming because of a fundamental flaw in CAD programs..

I look at all programs from a users point of view. If it take more then a day or two to learn how to use a program then the programmer didn't do his job.

I spent several days with kubuntu 8.10 and still had problems, but I only spent about 2 hours and had every thing at hand with Ubuntu 8.10. This was before I loaded Qt. of course. Even Amarok was easier to setup then in Kubuntu.

Good Luck