Thread: ffdshow compatibility manager popup

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default ffdshow compatibility manager popup

hello,

I've made an app that relies on Phonon. When I try to run this on a fresh computer a window pops up called the 'ffdshow compatibility manager', asking whether to enable support for this application.

Apparently this is a new security measure in Vista. The dialog looks quite alarming and so the user may be tempted to deny support, which would prevent my phonon widget working.

Has anyone come across this? Is there a way to register a Qt program on Windows to avoid this popup?

Richard

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Default Re: ffdshow compatibility manager popup

I also got the same problem. i mean is there anyway to stop this pop up?because when i use always. it will be using both ffdshow audio and video decoder then we have this custom directshow filter that can't be used any more.

By right my custom filter only needs to use ffdshow audio decoder but not the video decoder.

Here is my scenario:

1.) I install my custom directshow filter then i install 'KLite software' which holds the ffdshow fliters. works properly i can play video.

2.) I install my custom directshow filter then i register myself the ffdshow.ax which automatically registers all the filters of ffdshow. then after that i get the pop up thing. I f i choose always then it will use both ffdshow audio and video decoder and will never use my custom directshow filter which primarily focuses on video.

How can i disable this popup?Is this a standard for ffdshow?
    The pop up said my application is not registered on the whitelist or blacklist thingy. Then how can i register my app so this pop up wont appear anymore.?
    Is there something that KLite Software setup script did to disable this popup?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

hi,

I don't have the problem any more but I don't know why ... it could have been when I upgraded Qt, installed vcredist_x86.exe - I'm not sure.
    I also posted this question on the mailing list and didn't get any feedback, so it seems like a very rare problem.

Good luck!
    Richard

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

ffdshow is not part of Windows - it is an external set of video and audio codecs based on ffmpeg. If you want to do something related to it, you have to ask the ffdshow guys how to do it, not us.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I just encountered the same problem that was posted earlier. In my case, I am using Qt on a new project and as soon as I included phonon.lib and added a Phonon::VideoPlayer object through Qt Designer to my project this warning popped up on one of our machines. When we try to select any of the options (ignore, accept, etc) it crashes our application. If I removed the VideoPlayer it works. The machine is a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

I know the Qt team doesn't write ffdshow, but since phonon seems to rely on it to work properly I was hoping someone could provide some insight into it as to what I need to install to get the phonon VideoPlayer to work.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Phonon doesn't rely on ffdshow. ffdshow is a set of video codecs. Phonon relies on Windows backend to show the video and Windows uses those codecs. Please contact ffdshow support asking how to disable this dialog.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.