Thread: undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)'

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)'

I'm struggling to get a QWT plot into my application with so little documentation -- an official intro/howto guide would be helpful. The few examples lingering around the net are from different versions that use very different syntax, etc....

Ok, /rant.

I'm trying to compile this as a generic plot of y = x^2 for the moment:
    histPlot.cpp:
    Qt Code:
    1. #include <qwt5/qwt_plot.h>
    2. #include <qwt5/qwt_plot_curve.h>
    3. #include "histPlot.h"
    4. #include <QWidget>
    6. HistPlot::HistPlot( QWidget *parent ) : QwtPlot( parent)
    7. {
    8. // Show a title
    9. setTitle( "History" );
    11. // Create curves
    12. QwtPlotCurve * curve = new QwtPlotCurve("Curve");
    14. double x[100], y[100];
    16. for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++){
    17. x[i] = i;
    18. y[i] = i*i;
    19. }
    21. curve->setData(x,y,100);
    22. curve->attach(this);
    24. // Show the plots
    25. replot();
    27. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    But I get this from the compiler:
    g++ -o timeClock dialogs.o fileOps.o frame.o histPlot.o main.o mainWindow.o timeFunctions.o timeSheet.o moc_frame.o moc_histPlot.o moc_mainWindow.o -L/usr/lib64/qt4 -lqwt -lQtGui -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib64/qt4 -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lpng -lSM -lICE -lXi -lXrender -lXrandr -lXinerama -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -lQtCore -lz -lm -lrt -ldl -lpthread
    moc_histPlot.o: In function `HistPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)':
    moc_histPlot.cpp:(.text+0x11): undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)'
    moc_histPlot.o: In function `HistPlot::qt_metacast(char const*)':
    moc_histPlot.cpp:(.text+0x58): undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacast(char const*)'
    moc_histPlot.o:(.rodata+0x0): undefined reference to `QwtPlot::staticMetaObject'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [timeClock] Error 1
    Neither I nor google have any idea what qt_metacall is, nor why it can't be found. Any ideas?
    Last edited by jacek; 22nd January 2009 at 20:17. Reason: changed [code] to [quote]

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)'

The ever-friendly folks in #qt have pointed out that these errors usually result from not moc'ing a header with a Q_OBJECT call. the header for histPlot.cpp does indeed call Q_OBJECT, but it also does get moc'ed. Upon hearing this, #qt told me to find #qwt Since #qwt does not exist, I suppose this is the next best thing. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)'

Maybe the linker has problems in finding Qwt? Do you have libqwt.so file on your system?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

The qwt library is in my linking path, but it does seem to be a problem with the linker.

Removing Q_OBJECT macro from the histPlot.h header didn't help. Let me know if theres anything else that would be helpful to see -- I'd really like to resolve this quickly

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

The error changes a bit when Q_OBJECT is removed:
    Qt Code:
    1. histPlot.o:(.rodata._ZTV8HistPlot[vtable for HistPlot]+0x18): undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacast(char const*)'
    2. histPlot.o:(.rodata._ZTV8HistPlot[vtable for HistPlot]+0x20): undefined reference to `QwtPlot::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)'
    3. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    4. make: *** [timeClock] Error 1
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Got it working. Updated to the latest Qwt and linking completes.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I have the same problem, only I'm already using qwt-5.2.0 so I can't update.
    This project works on another computer not mine. I can compile and run qwt examples
    Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I don't have a build environment handy to verify this advice, but the error looks familiar...

Make sure QWT_DLL is defined in your compiler flags.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I solved this problem by changing the install dir of qwt to /usr, this in linux

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by mendes View Post
    I solved this problem by changing the install dir of qwt to /usr, this in linux
    Whatever solved the problem in your particular situation - changing the install dir to /usr has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I receive the same error when I changed qwt from shared lib to static library under linux. any idea what may be the issue? thanks.