My spaceship needs repairs..so, I am stuck on beautiful earth
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Smile A couple of questions on installing Qt 4.5 on Windows Xp

Hi everyone,
    I have a few questions on the installation procedure for Qt 4.5 on Windows xp(sp 1)--

1)I am planning to download Qt 4.5 mingw.exe(not the commercial version) .Now,I am pretty dumb about computers and software(tried coding for the first time in 2008)so,if I download that package, do I need to have Visual Studio 2005 SP1 installed in my system beforehand.Or, will I be able to do without VS.

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/install-win.html says Open Source Versions of Qt is not officially supported for use with any version of Visual Studio. Integration with Visual Studio is available as part of the Qt Commercial Editions.
    And step 4. says-
    Building
    To configure the Qt library for your machine, type the following command in a Visual Studio command prompt:
    C:
    cd /D C:\Qt\4.4.0-rc1
    configure

So,I can't figure out what to do .

2)Which to use for writing the code- Qt creator or Visual studio.If Qt creator is the way to go then do we still need Visual studio pre installed?

I hope my questions are not too dumb

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: A couple of questions on installing Qt 4.5 on Windows Xp

Quote Originally Posted by rishiraj View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a few questions on the installation procedure for Qt 4.5 on Windows xp(sp 1)--

1)I am planning to download Qt 4.5 mingw.exe(not the commercial version) .Now,I am pretty dumb about computers and software(tried coding for the first time in 2008)so,if I download that package, do I need to have Visual Studio 2005 SP1 installed in my system beforehand.Or, will I be able to do without VS.
    no, you don't. Qt SDK consits of Qt Creator, MinGW and Qt which is built using MinGW

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/install-win.html says Open Source Versions of Qt is not officially supported for use with any version of Visual Studio. Integration with Visual Studio is available as part of the Qt Commercial Editions.
    that's true, Qt Intergator is abailable under commercial license, but if you will use Qt Creator then you don't need Qt Integrator at all! this IDE have all what you need.

And step 4. says-
    Building
    To configure the Qt library for your machine, type the following command in a Visual Studio command prompt:
    C:
    cd /D C:\Qt\4.4.0-rc1
    configure
    Qt is already built for MinGW in Qt SDK, so you don't need to build it manually.

So,I can't figure out what to do .

2)Which to use for writing the code- Qt creator or Visual studio.If Qt creator is the way to go then do we still need Visual studio pre installed?

I hope my questions are not too dumb

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Qt Creator is good choice, but debugger in VS much better, so you decide what you want.
    Qt Assistant -- rocks!
    please, use tags [CODE] & [/CODE].

3. The following user says thank you to spirit for this useful post:

rishiraj (3rd April 2009)

My spaceship needs repairs..so, I am stuck on beautiful earth
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: A couple of questions on installing Qt 4.5 on Windows Xp

Thanks for the quick reply.I will try the installation this weekend and in case of any confusion will be here, asking questions again
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.