Thread: Qt Learning resources

Thanks

Default Qt Learning resources

Hello, I'm a Electronic engineer and MFC C++ programmer(6 years commercial experience). Currently I use plain C to program microcontrollers of my devices without any graphics . I was considering to learn a new language so it both be useful for embedded programming and also desktop programing. I was considering Java and C# until I bumped into Qt. It was appealing for me because it is native and I'm already a native programmer.
    where should I begin? I'm looking for worthy resources.

also another question:
    is Qt message based like MFC? I mean in MFC we have CCmdTarget that I noticed is absent in Qt. If it is not then who objects communicate without violating encapsulation?

regards,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt Learning resources

Qt Assistant is the best resource for getting started. It has every thing that you need to know.

3. The following user says thank you to munna for this useful post:

Saman (1st May 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Saman View Post
    is Qt message based like MFC? I mean in MFC we have CCmdTarget that I noticed is absent in Qt. If it is not then who objects communicate without violating encapsulation?
    As you will find out when reading the docs (by far the best I have ever found for any library thus far) Qt offers two mecanism for inter-object communication : events and signals/slots and these are not the only useful feature of its object model.
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

5. The following user says thank you to fullmetalcoder for this useful post:

Saman (1st May 2009)

Thanks

Thanks,
    is there also a good PDF format resource for offline reading. All I could find were very brief introduction.
    I also would like to know if is there any MFC programmer here moved to Qt. I want to know how difficult transition will be. Or is there any chance my personal MFC libs can be converted to Qt with least effort.

Hopefully I become a more frequent user here after a while and see you guys more.

regards,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

is there also a good PDF format resource for offline reading.
    None that I know of, but there are a couple of books available however (don't know the references by heart but a quick search on Amazon should be enough to find them).
    Last edited by fullmetalcoder; 1st May 2009 at 19:27. Reason: spelling error
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

is there also a good PDF format resource for offline reading. All I could find were very brief introduction.
    If you just look for offline: the docs are bundled and could be read offline. For good books:
    • Jasmin Blanchette and Mark Summerfield: C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition) (Prentice Hall Open Source Software Development Series)
    • Johan Thelin: Foundations of Qt® Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source)

9. The following user says thank you to Lykurg for this useful post:

Saman (2nd May 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I stumbled into a great free book a few weeks ago about design and style using qt.
    http://cartan.cas.suffolk.edu/oopdoc...rce/index.html

I'd put it on the "must-read" list.

~ Andy Fillebrown ~

11. The following user says thank you to andy.fillebrown for this useful post:

Saman (2nd May 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

I was a former MFC coder and also dabbled in Borland CBuilder quite a bit.
    I find that QT is much more intuitive than either of those and seems less burdensome to code. Since I have also historically coded a lot in Linux, it is good to have a common framework.

If you used Visual C as your IDE, you can continue to use with QT or you can switch to QTCreator. Visual C has some features lacking from QTCreator and debugger is faster. But QTCreator is missing lot of the fluff in Visual C making the learning curve very short and, in my opinion, making the development process easier. Also, if you plan to do anything in Linux, MAC or other UNIX based computers, you can move your sources from one computer to the other and have the same IDE waiting there to continue developing.

This might help you migrate from MFC to QT:
    http://doc.trolltech.com/solutions/q...lkthrough.html

Karl

13. The following user says thank you to KaptainKarl for this useful post:

Saman (2nd May 2009)

Thanks

Thank you, I have heard library richness in Qt is something between MFC and .Net. I don't know if you are aware of microsoft's recent feature pack upgrade of MFC. It is a big upgrade and one of interesting features of this upgrade is that it has introduced visual studio 2005 style docking pane with auto hiding and office 2007 style ribbon bar. surprisingly these features are currently absent in microsoft's dearly loved .Net and microsoft has announced it will support these features in .Net in 2010 edition.
    I have heard there were serious programs developed with Qt like Adobe Photoshop Album, Mathematica and KDE but I also would like to know about support and availability of advanced UI libraries. You are probably familiar with codeproject site, a major code sharing site. I have many times used high quality shared codes that were not available in MFC's supplied libraries at that time. unfortunately there is no Qt support in codeproject but is there any code sharing site for Qt programmers or we are totally dependent on libraries developed by supplier?

thanks