Thread: osx dylib frustration

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question osx dylib frustration

Hello,

I don't know where exactly I should place this post, so I left out the Qt forums.

I have a shared core library, a shared gui library, the application itself and Qt. Starting this on windows or linux is no problem, but mac is. When I'm starting my application, I get telled that the core/gui dylib can't be found I have no clue what to do that my program finds these to startup (even with debugger). Having the dylib's within the program's executable dir does not help. Putting them into the application bundle at the same place does not help.
    Only way that works: Putting my two .dylib files onto the filesystem root level "/". But that can't be the way ...

Sorry for the silly question but I have no experience with osx development. Nor I have a idea where to search.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: osx dylib frustration

Hi
    you have to tell the osx binary where to search for the dylib. you can do this with the otool.
    Look at http://doc.qtsoftware.com/4.5/deployment-mac.html
    With 4.5 there is a deployment tool shipped, but I dont't know if that works with dylibs.

Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I've already tried the deployment tool yesterday, which works for application bundles only.

My problem is that I don't understand where osx searches for the dylib. I've added the path of my test dylib to $PATH, but I also get "Program cannot be started". It's not a Qt question, more a general mac programming one

Qt Code:
    1. frickelbude:testprogramm gri$ otool -L testprogramm.app/Contents/MacOS/testprogramm
    2. testprogramm.app/Contents/MacOS/testprogramm:
    3. libtestlib.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    4. QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.1)
    5. /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 136.0.0)
    6. /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 949.46.0)
    7. QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore (compatibility version 4.5.0, current version 4.5.1)
    8. /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
    9. /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4)
    10. /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
    11. /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

So there's no path given for testlib, where does osx search? On linux there is something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in windows it looks in PATH and the program's directory ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

The environment variable you have to use is DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    You can also read the manpage for "dyld"

Grüße

5. The following user says thank you to hwerglmir for this useful post:

gri (16th May 2009)